Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with LG camera - Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problem with LG camera - Ubuntu 8.10

There might be. I really can't give a better answer.

Verizon and the other cellular carriers are known to disable certain features on their phones for their own financial benefit. For instance, they have a service (payment required of course, or pay for a plan upgrade) to send the pictures to an email account. Downloading directly from the phone may not be easily possible.

Bitpim does have IIRC a "filesystem" mode that works to view (possibly only part of) the filesystem on a phone. Again it will not work on all models, but it does work with many that are not on the "supported" list. But be careful, read all the caveats. It is possible to brick the phone by accessing its internal memory or storage in unexpected ways.

The phone companies don't want us to be able to access our phones easily. It reduces their revenue sources.
    Last edited by lswb; October 30th, 2009 at 12:48 AM.
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Jammanuser View Post
    Ok, I just googled "LG env3", and come to find out, it is a VX9200.
    Apparently, lsusb doesn't recognize it as that though (probably because its a fairly new phone), and instead detects it as a VX4400/VX6000.

I looked in the supported phones list for bitpim, but it doesn't mention that phone, so I guess its not supported (though I do believe the earlier version of the same phone - the LG env2 IS supported).

So now what do I do?

Is there any way to get it to work?
    Hi Jammanuser - finally found your thread and glad to see I'm not the only one using an enV3 and wanting to use bitpim, (misery loves company). I'm running Karmic Koala (ver. 9.10) and have found that the bitpim.org site has a "latest update" that covers the enV3 (VX9200) phone - unfortunately there is no available debian (.deb) file for that version. They do have a version for RedHat Package Manager (.rpm) which I have tried to convert to deb repeatedly with alien, however, the resulting package will not work under Karmic regardless of my "geeky" tricks. You might try to do something similar since you are running an older version of Ubuntu, (if you still are). Their "latest update" RPM package is about halfway down the page on bitpim.org below:
    BitPim Test Release 1.0.7.20090805 (10 Aug 2009)

My 8 gig micro sd card for the phone doesn't arrive until tomorrow. When it does, I should be able to transfer picture files to/from it by simply removing the card from the phone (after I get IT working properly), placing it in an adapter and plugging that into my normal memory card reader slot. (I already know that works as I've been using the card out of my camera and simply communicating with it via Nautilus.. Good luck!
    ...so many toys...so little time...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    Hi Jammanuser - finally found your thread and glad to see I'm not the only one using an enV3 and wanting to use bitpim, (misery loves company). I'm running Karmic Koala (ver. 9.10) and have found that the bitpim.org site has a "latest update" that covers the enV3 (VX9200) phone - unfortunately there is no available debian (.deb) file for that version.
    Really? That's news for me. That's great. I had just about given up on the problem.
    They do have a version for RedHat Package Manager (.rpm) which I have tried to convert to deb repeatedly with alien, however, the resulting package will not work under Karmic regardless of my "geeky" tricks. You might try to do something similar since you are running an older version of Ubuntu, (if you still are).
    Yeah, I'm still using 8.10 (haven't upgraded yet, see no reason to).
    Their "latest update" RPM package is about halfway down the page on bitpim.org below:
    BitPim Test Release 1.0.7.20090805 (10 Aug 2009)
    Thank you. Found it easily enough.
    My 8 gig micro sd card for the phone doesn't arrive until tomorrow. When it does, I should be able to transfer picture files to/from it by simply removing the card from the phone (after I get IT working properly), placing it in an adapter and plugging that into my normal memory card reader slot. (I already know that works as I've been using the card out of my camera and simply communicating with it via Nautilus.. Good luck!
    Will that work? I might want to try that too, but where is the built-in card located in the phone? Can it be easily accessed (i.e. without breaking my phone...)?

Thanks for helping.

-Jam Man

P.S. Love your sig...
    Beware of the ninja that lurks behind every tree, bush...and IN every house! Take care not to offend him or you will risk his wrath falling down upon you...along with the wrath of a thousand other ninja!

Beans
    Distro

There is a program, KPackage, which you can install through the Add/Remove Applications, that supports the .rpm format. Just found it, and gonna try it on BitPim now...

-Jam Man

EDIT: Nope, didn't work. Tried to use KPackage to install that BitPim update, and got an error (see attached image).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jammanuser; November 13th, 2009 at 02:14 AM.
    Beware of the ninja that lurks behind every tree, bush...and IN every house! Take care not to offend him or you will risk his wrath falling down upon you...along with the wrath of a thousand other ninja!

Beans
    Distro

snipped for brevity...

Will that work? I might want to try that too, but where is the built-in card located in the phone? Can it be easily accessed (i.e. without breaking my phone...)?

Thanks for helping.
    Hey Jam Man, sorry it has taken a couple days to get back into this thread. (Equally sorry to hear you also had problems converting that new bitpim rpm over to deb.)

I received my 8 gig micro SDHC card yesterday. Turned off the phone, opened the little slot on the right side of the enV3 and (careful to make certain I didn't have it backwards) inserted the tiny little card into the slot. Turned the phone back on and apparently it took care of formatting the card and putting appropriate sub-directories for my videos/pictures/music/etc. on it. A quick check with Settings&Tools | Memory | Card Memory proved everything was good to go. While I was in that area I made sure that save options was set up for stuff to get saved to the card rather than the camera's own memory.

Moved the pictures I already had saved on the phone to the card - then turned off the phone and removed the card.

Placed the micro SDHC card into an SDHC adapter I already had laying around and stuck it into the card slot on my Toshiba notebook. It took about 10-15 seconds and Ubuntu 9.10 recognized it - even popped up a nautilus window showing the content. Cool!

I was able to copy those pictures over to the computer - then just for fun wanted to test the music - so copied a mess of Alan Jackson MP3's over to the card.

When I got the micro SDHC card back into the phone and lit it off, I was elated to find that the enV3 plays MP3's without a problem.

Hope this helps with what you were originally trying to do Jam. Sure is working swell for me. I'd like to be able to use bitpim (primarily for the Calendar stuff) but just being able to move pics/videos/music back and forth will keep me happy until they release another version for Ubuntu that covers our VX-9200 phones.

-=dave=-

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for that.
    I finally found a program for Ubuntu that will open a .rpm archive, and extract the contents. The application is Xarchiver 0.4.6. You can download/install it through the Add/Remove Applications.

Now I just got to figure out how to install that Bitpim update.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for that.
    I finally found a program for Ubuntu that will open a .rpm archive, and extract the contents. The application is Xarchiver 0.4.6. You can download/install it through the Add/Remove Applications.

Now I just got to figure out how to install that Bitpim update.
    Good luck - I've been at personal computers for one very, very long time - (before there was such a thing as MSDOS) - the problem will be in trying to tweak all of the scripts and dependencies then compiling them. (I finally gave up - too much undocumented stuff that I couldn' figure out what the originator of that package was trying to do - also it was set up for an older version of RedHat).

In the mean time, I am *loving* my new enV3 (9200) - the excellent little keyboard lets me keep up with 4 of the grandkids that love to text old Papa. Have only now started using the camera a bit more effectively.

Let us know if you have any luck!
    Last edited by oldgeekster; November 13th, 2009 at 09:50 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12