Thread: for karmic is a update ok or clean install

Beans

for karmic is a update ok or clean install

which one should be better

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unhappy Re: for karmic is a update ok or clean install

While many people have done version upgrades with success. I have read all to often where some "x" factor component has caused it to fail. When succesfull they should be posted so others can see if their hardware might make the grade. I will always back my stuff up and perform a fresh install of the new distro.

YMMV 8)

Later,
    arizona.rune@gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: for karmic is a update ok or clean install

I've gone both routes, and I'm still up in the air about which one is better.

I have a laptop that's been only upgraded since Edgy. I hit various X configuration problems like AZ_RUNE mentioned, but these seem to get easier and easier with each upgrade. I also have done some pretty risky upgrade paths (i.e. pointing my repos at the beta release and upgrading) instead of simply using the upgrade tool, and this could have caused my problems. However, fixing them has proved invaluable, as I now feel really comfortable editing my xorg.conf. I don't know of any specific snags in the current upgrade path.

Clean installs tend to avoid those snags, but it's also a pain to get your configuration back. Unless you have a repository of configurations and packages, it'll take a while to get the same functionality out of a box that you just wiped.

Beans
    Hidden!

I always recommend clean install. Upgrades are usually successful but if it fails you're just going to have even more headaches. Every 6 months or so I do a clean install with the latest Ubuntu release.

Beans
    Distro

Another important consideration is your filesystem type.

New Karmic installations will default to EXT4; if you simply follow the upgrade path, I believe you'll stay with whatever partition scheme you already have.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by bribera View Post
    Another important consideration is your filesystem type.

New Karmic installations will default to EXT4; if you simply follow the upgrade path, I believe you'll stay with whatever partition scheme you already have.
    Anyone know if the ext4 issues have been resolved???

jdb

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jdb View Post
    Anyone know if the ext4 issues have been resolved?
    Anecdotally, I've been running it without problems. I have disabled barrier writes, which is a little risky in terms of data integrity, but I haven't had any trouble thus far. Then again, I'm running it on a laptop, so my risk of unclean shutdown due to power loss is greatly reduced.

I didn't see issues before disabling barriers either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jdb View Post
    Anyone know if the ext4 issues have been resolved???

jdb
    I have been using EXT4 since 9.04 and I never found an issue with it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I did an upgrade from Jaunty. Things are going just fine for me, and I like it.

I've done reloads and updates... Every few releases I do a clean install. I'm not sure if it's the best route to go, but it's worked for me.

There are no guarantees, unfortunately. Do what you think is the best for you right now.

Oh, and I don't use ext4. I might later on if it proves to be more stable.

Amy
    about|blog|twitter
    Machines: custom built desktop (Ubuntu and Windows 7), Macbook Air

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't install alot of software on the computer. Cairo dock, Compiz (ccsm itself), etc. Of that which I don't get from repos, I keep a copy of the deb in my home folder. I always do a clean install because I find it significantly faster than an upgrade and in my experience, more stable.

For Karmic I set up my / as ext4 and my /home as ext3. I figured the majority of the time savings on boot would be from / accesses rather than /home ones. I didn't want my /home on ext4 out of concern of data loss.
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast