Thread: Users+Passwords

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Users+Passwords

Hello,

We are a highschool that is beginning to test the Netbook Remix. We want to be able to allow our students to be handed a netbook and begin their work. I have created an admin account for us, and a student account for them. I want to know how to disallow the ability for them to change the password. I have logged in as them and it would appear that they could change the password and we would like all netbooks to have the same student account with the same password. Possible? Am I missing something? I have made their account in the users group.

Many thanks in advance for anyone's help.

AceMan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Users+Passwords

you could probably accomplish this by setting permissions on /user/bin/passwd so that only root can run it. As it is, it has setuid root so that it runs with root privileges even when normal users invoke it, which allows them to modify /etc/passwd

so I'd try
    Code:
    chmod 750 /usr/bin/passwd
    !! I haven"t tried this and i don't know what side effects it may have. You should try this first on a disposable test system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

no side effects as of yet, I also as an extra precaution deleted any menu (this is netbook remix)that wasn't needed, and I am about 99.9% sure no one knows much about terminal either.

We shall see. If there is an easier/better way to restrict users, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again for any and all help.

AceMan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There's a number of tools to manage user configuration : pessulus, sabayon, gconf-editor, (Policy Kit ?), ...

I'm not entirely up to date with the newest developments here or what is currently the Ubuntu recommended best practise in this area.

On the other hand, you could just assume that as long as your users can't us sudo (and can't change to password and lock others out), it's fine. Depends on your (functional) requirements, really.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yeah I tried Pessilus, but i couldn't figure out how to manage the user I wanted to edit, while being logged in as admin. The bitter-sweet side of this is that there aren't many users that know Linux, so we're probably safer than Windows, however that isn't real security either.

Like I said I have limited the menus to only those applications I know they need (Writer, Calc, Firefox, etc)so that's a step.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Some of the desktop environments also have a kiosk mode, so that can be tried to lock things down.

Also make sure that the student account is not in the group admin or adm.