Thread: Hardisk not recognised by windows after formating it to ntfs using ubuntu

Beans

Hardisk not recognised by windows after formating it to ntfs using ubuntu

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu. The problem I'm facing is this. I have 2 Seagate hard disks 300GB(Music&Data) & a 120 GB(O's installed)SATA Hard disk. I've formated the 300 GB HDD to NTFS using partition editor on ubuntu. I had to format and reinstall windows and ubuntu once again because of a hardware problem/s. Now the 300GB Hard disk is visible on ubuntu and I can copy/write& delete data using ubuntu. But windows xp doesn't show this hard drive at all in explorer but disk manager shows it but with an unrecognised format.

I used to use this same hard disk on both windows and linux but I'm facing this problem only after I've formated the harddisk to NTFS using partition editor on ubuntu.

Can someone tell me what went wrong and how do I get this hard disk to work on both the operating system as my church uses both and I've recorded quite a lot of sermons on that. I cant afford to lose that data as well.

Thank you in advance.

Xavier Francis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Hardisk not recognised by windows after formating it to ntfs using ubuntu

Are you sure you formatted it or just created a ntfs? If you create a ntfs partitionm, you need to format it with Windows. At least that was true in 1999, the last time I was running Windows.

Beans

Re: Hardisk not recognised by windows after formating it to ntfs using ubuntu

Hi, in windows you need to assign a drive letter to the drive before it can be used, this might mean you will have to do a quick format, Don't forget to save any data as this may wipe the drive.

Raz
    Last edited by razy60; October 27th, 2009 at 06:19 PM.