Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Cheat Sheets

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs up Free Cheat Sheets

gunksta's collection of cheat sheets

Feel free to copy/print/reproduce/mangle these. If someone contributes an additional cheat sheet, I'll stick it in the text and give appropriate credit.

Cheat Sheets

• mdbtools
    • psql
      • This is a cheat sheet for the interactive shell 'psql' only

• rplugin2
      • rplugin2 is a Vim extension
      • Cheat Sheet is plain text only

• screen
      • Includes byobu specific key bindings

• Vim
      • Two pages of Vim goodness

Edit History -
    05/04/2010 - Updated Vim cheat sheet, Added the Rplugin2 cheat sheet.
    05/06/2010 - Updated/Reformatted all cheat sheets, rewrote OP.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gunksta; May 6th, 2010 at 09:42 PM.
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Free Cheat Sheets

Great job on the Cheat Sheets, they'll be really helpful whenever I forget any of these x3!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I got energetic and added a very simplistic (plain text) cheat sheet for the vim rplugin2 and I made a couple of small improvements to the Vim cheat sheet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Very nice. Although I must say, there is just a *tiny* bit of irony in writing a cheat sheet for a 'light-weight' text editor like vim, using an 800lb. gorilla like Open Office...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gunksta View Post
    Disclaimer: I like cheat sheets. Not only do I like to use them, I like to make them. (I'm weird like that.)
    Cheat Sheets:

• mdbtools,
    • psql (not postgres, just the interactive shell)
    • screen
    • Vim
    • rplugin2
    I use screen to run rTorrent in the background. Thank you for this cheat sheet, I might be able to make more use out of screen now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
    Very nice. Although I must say, there is just a *tiny* bit of irony in writing a cheat sheet for a 'light-weight' text editor like vim, using an 800lb. gorilla like Open Office...

You only see a tiny bit of irony? I think it is just dripping with irony.

I actually started to do these in LaTeX, which I will be the first to admit - I'm not very experienced with. HTML is another option, but has limitations when printing. I still think it would be possible to build a really nice version of these using latex if I learned a bit more and took the time to do it. But, when I started this thing I didn't know how I wanted to structure the cheat sheets. The table I used to contain all of this stuff is really really complicated and each cheat sheet required many many revisions to get everything to fit, line-up, etc.

It is much easier to do visual layout in OpenOffice.org than with latex. I actually used a couple of cheat sheets built with latex as guides and none of these guides are as colorful or complicated as my tool. I'm sure it is possible to create something this complicated, but it would be hard.

I just realized there are still a few formatting errors in the version I posted yesterday so I will probably update it again later today.

Beans

looks very neat indeed. just the latex version is missing maybe I can find some time on the weekend and start a little bit.
    Warning! Ubuntu might cause smashed Windows. Are you sure you want to continue? [y/n] y

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As I have said elsewhere - I am no LaTeX expert. I rarely use it and I am not prepared to make one myself. But, if you upload it to this thread, I'll add it to the post at the top, and give credit where credit is due.

In fact - There are lots of general purpose mathematical and scientific software. If anyone creates a cheat-sheet for a piece of software and posts it here, it might be useful to someone else. You just never know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mobilediesel View Post
    I use screen to run rTorrent in the background. Thank you for this cheat sheet, I might be able to make more use out of screen now!
    I uploaded new versions of the Vim cheat sheet (formatting changes) and a completely revamped screen cheat sheet. The screen cheat sheet now also includes byobu key bindings where they differ from default screen key bindings. They are easily identifiable, so you can easily avoid them if you are using vanilla screen or don't want to get your muscle memory too tied to byobu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No more changes for a while. I updated all of the sheets, made the formatting a little more consistent and fixed a couple of small problems.

I also added a much nicer rplugin2 cheat sheet that fits in with the others (now also created with the ironically bloated OpenOffice.org suite).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast