Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Kenyon from Canonical gives BBC's Gary Parkinson a preview of Karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Chris Kenyon from Canonical gives BBC's Gary Parkinson a preview of Karmic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8326264.stm

I don't think this was broadcast on TV, I think it's just a web only video/

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Chris Kenyon from Canonical gives BBC's Gary Parkinson a preview of Karmic

wow...

cant get much more brief then that
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

He gives the OS a brief run down and gives a pretty good reason as to why he doesn't like it. What happens? He gets attacked by rabid linux users. Points out that they are attacking him, and they do it anyways. I'm surprised I didn't see him called a Microsoft shill or plant.
    Hey, you created me. I didn't create some loser alter-ego to make myself feel better. Take some responsibility! -Tyler Durden, Fight Club

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is the video available anywhere in a venue that doesn't require me to have broke proprietary software such as flash installed.. a Silverlight or html5 Ogg Theora version or a similar download e.g. would be perfect.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

the article has made it into the most watched list this morning.

Quote "you should never have to enter code into Ubuntu" -really?

I'm pleased that Ubuntu is getting some mainstream exposure but also pleased we're not seeing 'Ubuntu launch party' style marketing!!
    AMD9650 Quad,4GB, ATI 3200HD, Ubuntu 12.10, Still loving Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The BBC correspondent seemed to not be aware of the larger variety of programs offered by open source. Personally I don't know a line of code and this has never been a problem. It seemed as if he had tried to use Ubuntu with proprietary software held by Apple like Itunes. Heck I use several open source programs on the Xp that came on my net-book like vlc and ccleaner. Xp runs so slow compared to the linux even with 2 GiB of ram and the Atom chip.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I normally stick with LTS only but 9.10 looks really good from that very brief overview - I'll be upgrading the two house desktops.
    "The MS Explorer, which had been in service since the 1960s, had recently undergone repairs"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: BBC Tech guru chucks a few more at Ubuntu…

It appears that the BBC seems to giving Ubuntu quite a bit of coverage.

see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8326264.stm
    'I am writing to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.'

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I didn't watch the video (I'm with gnomeuser's dislike of flash...), The article itself is quite positive of Ubuntu. And this time, we weren't on a stupid blog page which only the converted will read! We're on the BBC news most read!
    'I know lifes a bummer baby, But thats got precious little to do with me' - Monster Magnet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's not code, it's an interface for running programs.

He's obviously never called an ISP for technical support - the first thing they get you to do is run "ping" and "ipconfig" in an MS-DOS prompt.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast