Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Chris Kenyon from Canonical gives BBC's Gary Parkinson a preview of Karmic

Beans

Re: Chris Kenyon from Canonical gives BBC's Gary Parkinson a preview of Karmic

I've been Diggin' it and tweetin' it and Facebook mentioning it and... heh

I have a few online avenues here and there and I've been promoting Karmic through all of them! ^_^
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Iehova View Post
    Well the 64 bit plugin is still in alpha stage so bugs are to be expected; the video works fine with the 32 bit plugin and nspluginwrapper. This is interesting though because I've been thinking about installing the 64 bit plugin - do other BBC videos work for you?

EDIT: OK, you mentioned it was alpha. My bad.
    Other flash videos work fine, it's really weird, I haven't tried other BBC videos, I don't really go to their site much.

Yeah, I recognize it's alpha so there will be glitches, I live with them. I was really just saying that slagging flash on linux doesn't mean someone is being a snob... it's the same as complaining that websites don't render correctly in X browser...
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by stinger30au View Post
    even if it is only *EXTREMELY* brief

any news is good news i guess
    It's the nature of the medium; three solid minutes covering a sole topic in this day and age is quite remarkable.
    Linux systems are like LEGOs :
    they are infinitely customizable
    and limited only by a user's imagination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser View Post
    Is the video available anywhere in a venue that doesn't require me to have broke proprietary software such as flash installed.. a Silverlight or html5 Ogg Theora version or a similar download e.g. would be perfect.
    Download the program 'get_iplayer' and then you can download the video directly to your hard drive with the command
    Code:
    get_iplayer -g --url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8326264.stm

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Groucho Marxist View Post
    It's the nature of the medium; three solid minutes covering a sole topic in this day and age is quite remarkable.
    not only that, most people won't bother with something longer.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It was the 3rd most watched video on the BBC news site yesterday:

http://imgur.com/3t40k.png

Beans

Yeah. I'd watch the snake man video over the ubuntu one too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not exactly sure it was given a fair shot on the video, but not because of the interviewer. I feel the interviewee could have responded to the "You can't use iTunes" question better by explaining that other online music stores that run in the web browser work without problem, and that actually, running iTunes IS possible (as is a lot of Windows software, which was another question) by using Wine.

I appreciate he was limited for time etc, and he was perhaps put on the spot, but it could have been slightly better.

Ah well, it's happened now.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345