Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012: The most epic of all failures?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 2012: The most epic of all failures?

You know all of this "end of the world!" nonsense is just to bring in more money.

There's even a movie for it now! Crap, not too long ago I saw an advertisement to a reserve a spot in an underground shelter for 2012... "So you and your family can survive" .

Once 2012 passes and everybody is done crapping their pants, somebody is going to make a new prediction of the end of the world, with new "scientific" theories.

Beans

I dunno, with the current status our race and our planet anything can happen.
    One thing that does give some credence that something bad might happen in 2012 is solar flare activity predicted to happen in that year.
    Now normally solar flares are nothing to worry about as Earths magnetic field usually protects us from them.
    But right now Earths magnetic field is weakening, so who knows if it can deflect them or not.
    Plus there is another factor: satellites
    Even if Earth itself comes out just fine like it normally does with solar flares, our satellites are not as fortunate.
    It is very plausible that the solar flares could knock them out taking down communications, intense solar flare activity could really wreak havoc on our satellites.
    We rely on satellites for practically everything, TV, Internet, GPS, all sorts of stuff.
    The loss of such a critical system could be devastating.

Truth be told I hope something does happen in 2012, the state of our species right now makes me sick.
    As a sci fi fan though I hope its aliens...
    Meteor will be nice too
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Who remembers Y2K? Same crap, different decade. Some one will find something new to fear in another ten years.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    I dunno, with the current status our race and our planet anything can happen.
    One thing that does give some credence that something bad might happen in 2012 is solar flare activity predicted to happen in that year.
    Now normally solar flares are nothing to worry about as Earths magnetic field usually protects us from them.
    But right now Earths magnetic field is weakening, so who knows if it can deflect them or not.
    Plus there is another factor: satellites
    Even if Earth itself comes out just fine like it normally does with solar flares, our satellites are not as fortunate.
    It is very plausible that the solar flares could knock them out taking down communications, intense solar flare activity could really wreak havoc on our satellites.
    We rely on satellites for practically everything, TV, Internet, GPS, all sorts of stuff.
    The loss of such a critical system could be devastating.

Truth be told I hope something does happen in 2012, the state of our species right now makes me sick.
    As a sci fi fan though I hope its aliens...
    Meteor will be nice too
    aww man heh, our species really isn't THAT bad, at least I don't think so.

We achieve some wonderful things and pull together to have incredible effects. We have great dreams and hopes and.. *goes way too philanthropic! hehe*

I think it's hard on the human race to say it's a mess or it's all gone wrong, and I think it's very far from the truth. Some things we have done wrong and some people have bad intentions, but many people mean well and are trying to do good for everyone

I don't think we deserve to be wiped out or for anything bad to happen, I am the kind of person who is ultimately proud of mankind ^_^
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevin11951 View Post
    self fulfilling prophecies and all that, right?
    Pretty Much.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by magh-87 View Post
    Who remembers Y2K? Same crap, different decade. Some one will find something new to fear in another ten years.
    Well Y2K did have some rationality behind it, after all computers had become a big thing and they were all over the place.
    Before the 90's computers were not really a household tool but were slowly edging into the mainstream, businesses were using them more often and by the mid 90's computers started to catch on.
    In the 90's you had the internet revolution, information was at the tip of your fingers.
    Y2K could have been an issue if we didnt take the precautions we did, being a computer based society something like Y2K could have brought it down.
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hoppipolla View Post

We achieve some wonderful things and pull together to have incredible effects. We have great dreams and hopes and.. *goes way too philanthropic! hehe*

I think it's hard on the human race to say it's a mess or it's all gone wrong, and I think it's very far from the truth. Some things we have done wrong and some people have bad intentions, but many people mean well and are trying to do good for everyone

I don't think we deserve to be wiped out or for anything bad to happen, I am the kind of person who is ultimately proud of mankind ^_^
    +1

We may not be perfect, but at least we try... hey, we're only human.

Beans
    Hidden!

i remember posting here about this a while back , believe what you will but its better to be prepared and aware than not to be . . . , knowledge is power!!
    What arrests my attention...
    is the fact, that this space is inhabited.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hoppipolla View Post

yes but look at the economy, the fighting in the middle east, the oil industry, look at the news and many issues with our race will stare you in the face.
    I personally think we are going in circles as a race right now, not advancing just repeating mistakes just this time we got some Mrs. Dash.
    Sorry I have no real faith in the human race

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

and to just rule out all dates as untrue based on previous, often completely unrelated, ones is a bit silly IMO.
    Not really. Based on the fact that they've predicted the world will end numerous times before because of an inconsistency in an ancient civilizations calender it would be completely rational to assume the rest of the predictions and dates are also going to be complete lunacy.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast