Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference between Eject, Unmount & Safely Remove?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Difference between Eject, Unmount & Safely Remove?

When I right click on a mounted drive in the desktop I get the option to Unmount, Safely Remove and Eject. Could anyone explain the difference between these three options?
    I'm on Karmic RC btw, it rocks.
    Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Difference between Eject, Unmount & Safely Remove?

Unmount removes the disk from the file system. It makes sure any information waiting to be written to the disk gets written.
    Safely remove is just a non-techy way of saying unmount.
    Eject unmounts and then ejects the media.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jacksaff View Post
    Unmount removes the disk from the file system. It makes sure any information waiting to be written to the disk gets written.
    Safely remove is just a non-techy way of saying unmount.
    Eject unmounts and then ejects the media.
    Thanks for the prompt answers. But may I know why all three are being displayed for an external hard drive? Can't it be context sensitive and display Eject only for a CD drive and Safely Remove for everything else?

Isn't it a more user friendly way of doing things? It would also reduce the clutter.
    Anyone else have any similar thoughts? Please correct me if I'm wrong about these options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On a mounted internal drive I'm only offered unmount, maybe its a to do with external drives like usb sticks/drives and so forth.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    On a mounted internal drive I'm only offered unmount, maybe its a to do with external drives like usb sticks/drives and so forth.
    But why have all three options for an external hard drive or a USB pen drive? Wouldn't that confuse new users?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Having the option to Unmount or Eject is intended for CDs & DVDs. Safely Remove may be something new to Karmic, I've never seen it. It's probably a bug that you're seeing all the options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    I tried, and by tried I mean I did a half a**ed google search, and by half a**ed google search I mean I typed "eread pdg"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

"Unmount" unmounts a single partition, "Safely Remove Drive" unmounts all partitions of that device.

For example if you have a removable hard drive with 2 partitions selecting "Safely Remove Drive" for one of them would unmount both partitions, so that the device can be safely unplugged from your computer.

"Eject" is for media that can actually be ejected, like CD/DVD drive. So it unmounts the media and then ejects it (quite important if you happen to have a slot drive without a physical eject button).

Which ones appear in the right-click menu depends on what type of device/media it is. For some devices even having all three options would make perfect sense.
    Last edited by mcduck; October 26th, 2009 at 06:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    "Unmount" unmounts a single partition, "Safely Remove Drive" unmounts all partitions of that device.

For example if you have a removable hard drive with 2 partitions selecting "Safely Remove Drive" for one of them would unmount both partitions, so that the device can be safely unplugged from your computer.

"Eject" is for media that can actually be ejected, like CD/DVD drive. So it unmounts the media and then ejects it (quite important if you happen to have a slot drive without a physical eject button).

Which ones appear in the right-click menu depends on what type of device/media it is. For some devices even having all three options would make perfect sense.
    How does having all three for a USB flash drive make sense? I'm just curious as I'm don't know much on how *nix handles partitions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by alphaniner View Post
    Having the option to Unmount or Eject is intended for CDs & DVDs. Safely Remove may be something new to Karmic, I've never seen it. It's probably a bug that you're seeing all the options.
    It is new to karmic, I think its just for familiarity with windows users, I could be wrong though

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinhgtx View Post
    How does having all three for a USB flash drive make sense? I'm just curious as I'm don't know much on how *nix handles partitions.
    Perhaps "Eject" will spit out the flash drive automatically?

No, I agree that having the "Eject" option for a USB flash drive doesn't make much sense..

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast