Thread: Help needed : restoring 9.04 from 9.10 bad install

Beans

Question Help needed : restoring 9.04 from 9.10 bad install

First I admit my colossal blunder by trying to upgrade 9.04 to 9.10 beta yesterday, so I fully deserve the outcome - upgrading died on unpacking/installing libc, and now I can't boot ubuntu 9.4.

It turned out my back-up is corrupted, so I would like to ask for recommendations :

2. Is it possible somehow to continue install from the point it died (afraid not)?

1. Is it possible to "roll-back" somehow this half installation back to 9.4 ?

2. If not (I am afraid this will be the answer), what would be the most reasonable way to undid the damage ?

I can boot with knoppix, mount the home partition and copy /home to my network drive, then reinstall 9.4 or do fresh install of 9.10 next week, bring my /home back and reinstall all the packages.

Anything more sophisticated/less tedious ?

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Help needed : restoring 9.04 from 9.10 bad install

Why not just boot into Knoppix, save your personal data to your network drive, then do a fresh reinstall of 9.04? That what I would do, just to be as safe as possible with my files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vur246 View Post
    2. Is it possible somehow to continue install from the point it died (afraid not)?
    Answered your own question.

1. Is it possible to "roll-back" somehow this half installation back to 9.4 ?
    Nope. No "System Restore" capability available by default. Can only do this if you did a backup before the upgrade.

2. If not (I am afraid this will be the answer), what would be the most reasonable way to undid the damage ?

I can boot with knoppix, mount the home partition and copy /home to my network drive, then reinstall 9.4 or do fresh install of 9.10 next week, bring my /home back and reinstall all the packages.

Anything more sophisticated/less tedious ?
    As already advised, the back off, reinstall is the best approach.
    Ubuntu 19.10 Mate, Mint 19.2 Mate; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Thanks for advises

I knew there is no magic way to get back to 9.4 easy, but I still hoped for some hack/trick. Now need to do fresh install of 9.4.