Thread: How can I gain control of my laptop fans?

Beans

Exclamation How can I gain control of my laptop fans?

Note: I'm now 90% sure that it's an acpi/dsdt issue, but please read all my posts to see if I missed something.

Hi guys, I'm running on an old Fujitsu T4020D,and installed a full Ubuntu 9.04 (updated it to 9.10 already, in attempt to fix the fan-heat issue) and the fans just aren't spinning until it gets really hot, and then only for a second or two at seemingly even intervals. I can't check the fans in windows xp, because I have no way to install it. No DVD/CD drive, and no floppy disks to install it via win98 off of itself. xSensors tells me that the "temp" and "remote_temp" are both 0C

ALSO! Should I have files in /proc/acpi/fan and /proc/acpi/thermal_zone ? Because I know I'm supposed to be able to retrieve the temperature via "cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/... temperature" but I don't even have anything in the thermal_zone directory, nor do I have anything in the /fan/ directory.

Help please?

Also, if anyone can tell me this info, it would be awesome. What's a general minimum speed for fans in laptops, and what's a general maximum?
    Last edited by VXxed; October 26th, 2009 at 02:45 PM.

Beans

Re: How can I gain control of my laptop fans?

Someone has recommended me to try doing something with this to try to get it running, but I'm wondering if it will work. I DO have the phoenix bios, though. What do you guys think?

Beans

before following the directions of post #1, with the acpi thing, I did what the directions in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42737 started telling me to do by setting up lm-sensors. The problem is that when following the directions for setting up lm-sensors found here ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread?t=2780 ) my output for "sensors was:
    Code:
    ronen@vxtablet:~$ sensors
    lm84-i2c-5-19
    Adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at 14e0
    Board Temp:   +0.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C, high =  +0.0°C)  
    CPU Temp:     +0.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C, high =  +0.0°C)
    I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I did the "sudo sensors-detect" I got the following:
    Code:
    To load everything that is needed, add this to /etc/modules:

#----cut here----
    # I2C adapter drivers
    i2c-i801
    # Chip drivers
    # Warning: the required module smartbatt is not currently installed
    # on your system. For status of 2.6 kernel ports check
    # http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices. If driver is built
    # into the kernel, or unavailable, comment out the following line.
    smartbatt
    adm1021
    #----cut here----
    I then followed the directions in the second guide for doing lm-sensors right, and two commands did not work. This is what I ran:
    Code:
    ronen@vxtablet:~$ sudo modprobe i2c-sensor
    FATAL: Module i2c_sensor not found.
    ronen@vxtablet:~$ sudo modprobe i2c-i801
    ronen@vxtablet:~$ sudo modprobe smartbatt
    FATAL: Module smartbatt not found.
    ronen@vxtablet:~$ sudo modprobe adm1021
    ronen@vxtablet:~$ sudo depmod -a
    ronen@vxtablet:~$ sudo update-modules
    sudo: update-modules: command not found
    Am I doing something wrong by not having a i2c-sensors? What am I still doing wrong?
    Last edited by VXxed; October 25th, 2009 at 10:05 PM.

Beans

I've tried doing a command in GRUB that forces ACPI but to no avail. The exact thing I entered in the console was:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=force"
    Just in case the quotes are incorrect and unnecessary, I also did it without quotes. If there's a redundancy issue..well, I have no idea how to go and edit it. No clue how to edit Grub.
    Last edited by VXxed; October 26th, 2009 at 02:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: How can I gain control of my laptop fans?

in linux apt-get install fancontrol
    in winxp speedfan is ok if motherboard have sensors (3 pin on fan, instead 2pin)
    if yours fun have only 2 pin-cable than you can't control its speed by manual

Beans

Here are my results for that
    Code:
    ronen@vxtablet:~$ sudo apt-get install fancontrol
    [sudo] password for ronen: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package fancontrol

Beans

During boot up into Grub to edit its control of acpi, I noticed that in Grub, the fan works fine. Works exactly the way it's supposed to, rather. But as soon as Ubuntu boots up, fan control dies out and I'm shafted. So I dropped that idea which was proposed in #ubuntu-bugs.

While looking around, I realized that there's .c files for several major brand names, some of them labeled [name]-acpi.c or [name]_acpi.c under a drivers folder in linux-source which I think is in /src/usr/

Looking at a toshiba one first, I found out that it has control over backlight and fans, and took a look at the fujitsu one, noticing that it has only backlight things, but no fan control. I tried loading them by way of a guide found here. Unfortunately that didn't work, and a friend advised me that that's not an executable file, but since it didn't even have fan control I didn't much continue to bother with it.

Realizing that it may be more of a brandname-linux interaction issue rather than a bios-linux issue I looked up "Fujitsu Fan Control" and stumbled upon this, which also led to this, and the ubuntu version, this.

By the way, is this an adventurers journal? I could really use some help before I start changing that DSDT. One lasting thought on my mind is "should I try the UNR since it's geared for laptops and netbooks?"

Beans

Last edited by VXxed; October 26th, 2009 at 06:01 AM.

Beans

Sorry to bump, but I really need an answer...I can't use my laptop safely without help

Beans

To any who may view this thread in the near or far future with issues of the same sorts, I ended up filing an official bug report, found here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/461675/