Thread: Dual Booting (again)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Exclamation Dual Booting (again)

OK, With other versions of Ubuntu it was easy to dual boot with two hard drives each having there own OS. But now I am just confused with 9.10, it has grub-2 as I understand it. I like to do things manually, so what I used to do is I used Thunar and went to Boot>Grub>Menu.lst and i knew what to do from there but in 9.10 there is no Menu.lst so How do I do it please Help thank you

I have a

500GB Hard drive (SATA) with Ubuntu 9.10

80GB Hard drive with Windows Vista

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Dual Booting (again)

GRUB 2 has grub.cfg instead of menu.lst.
    We're not supposed to edit our grub.cfg files ourselves.
    A big improvement with GRUB 2 is its ability to scan your computer and detect other operating systems and automatically add them to grub.cfg
    Here's the command I use to get GRUB 2 to scan my computer and make a new grub.cfg file,
    Code:
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Just type that command, press 'enter', type your password and sit back while GRUB 2 does all it's own editing work.
    Ubuntu user since 2004 (Warty Warthog)

Beans
    Distro

GRUB 2 will be a lot easier for new users than the old GRUB, there will be programs for modifying and customizing your GRUB menu the way you like, say for example adding a splashimage or changing the boot order and so on. SUM (Start Up Manager) seems to be the most popular program for editing GRUB 2 so far.
    StartUp Manager - Ubuntu Community Docs
    StartUp Manager – change settings in Grub, Grub2 and Usplash - UbuntuGeek

Beans
    Distro

Both GRUB 2 itself and Start Up Manager are still works in progress and at the moment there may be some tricks that we're used to being able to do with GRUB that GRUB2 and SUM might not have available yet or at least aren't as easy for the time being.
    That will mean if you really want to do some of the things we did in GRUB Legacy, maybe like adding a splashimage or something like that, we still need to resort to editing files by hand (with a text editor).

But remember, we're not supposed to edit our grub.cfg ourselves directly.

Instead, there are some files that the mkgrub.cfg program looks at when it automatically makes us a new grub.cfg file which we can edit manually if we like to make any changes we want in our GRUB 2 menus.
    One such file is /etc/default/grub, and other files are the files in /etc/grub.d which begin with numbers like '00_header 05_debian_theme 10_linux 20_memtest86+ 30_os-prober and 40_custom'.
    Editing those files and then running 'sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' will be the only way to make GRUB 2 do some of the things we're used to being able to do with GRUB for now, until SUM has more features available.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
    Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    Found Windows Vista (loader) on /dev/sdb1
    grub-probe: error: Cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1. Check your device.map.

Is this ok because I do not know what the error is can someone please tell me