Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus Eee 1008ha touchpad issue

Beans

Asus Eee 1008ha touchpad issue

The touchpad works just fine, but the multi-touch "feature" doesn't seem to be working on Ubuntu 9.10 RC. For example, in mouse options, there is a setting for two finger scrolling, but when I have that option enabled, I loose scrolling abilities completely. If I change the setting back to edge scrolling, it works fine; like any other touchpad would.

It's not really a big deal, but I'd like this to work.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Beans

Re: Asus Eee 1008ha touchpad issue

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm following this

Beans

The same on 1101HA

Beans

I have this issue too; I just replaced a stolen 901 with a 1008, and it's aggravating not having the multitouch features.

Is it known for sure that the hardware is capable of multitouch? I couldn't see anything about it one way or the other on the eeeuser forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

@ Starwed: It is confirmed that it has, it is actually a sales argument for Asus, that you can zoom internet, pictures and documents the 'iPhone way'. And I know you can, as I dualboot ubuntu NBR and Win7,

Beans

I think I read somewhere that even on the default windows install, only the zooming motions, not two-finger scroll, was working.

edit - Ah, regardless of whether it works by default, I found someone who claims they got it working on linux with the right drivers.
    Last edited by starwed; November 9th, 2009 at 09:17 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by starwed View Post
    I think I read somewhere that even on the default windows install, only the zooming motions, not two-finger scroll, was working.

edit - Ah, regardless of whether it works by default, I found someone who claims they got it working on linux with the right drivers.
    I've got it working in windows XP and 7 at least ... all I needed to do is update the synaptics driver to the latest offered by Asus and away it goes. Two finger scrolling and all that awesomeness works great in XP (my 1008ha is older and came with XP )

Beans

Just took another crack at figuring this out. Running synclient, it only ever detects 1 finger on the touchpad at a time.

I'm very confused on whether the touchpad really supports multitouch. I didn't have any problems with my older ASUS, so could it just be a matter of the touchpad being more recent hardware? If there are more recent drivers than included in 9.10, where could I go about finding them?

Beans

Found that this issue is covered in Bug 308191.

According to Alberto Milone in the comments, true multitouch is not implemented by this hardware! This contradicts ASUS's product info, though. So perhaps it is some sort of driver problem. It would be nice to know if those who say they have it working on windows really have true multitouch or are just using the emulation program.
    Last edited by starwed; January 2nd, 2010 at 09:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast