Thread: kacpid & kacpi_notify eating up CPU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

kacpid & kacpi_notify eating up CPU

I've got this problem of kacpid & kacpi_notify processes eating up some 70-80% of CPU on my Latitude D620 running 8.10. I found out that this seems to be a kernel bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/280088) and that there is a patch available.

So if I patch the kernel with a patch proposed on that bug report, how would that affect the future updates? What if that patch would not work, how would I revert to the old kernel?

Or does anyone know of another workaround for this issue?

Some forum posters suggested disabling acpi altogether, but then I saw that it would not work on dual core machines, as then only one core gets active. Also not sure how that would work with the fans, are they not run by BIOS? I guess disabling acpi would affect suspend too?

Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: kacpid & kacpi_notify eating up CPU

Any ideas, anyone?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Anyone? I'm suffering the exact same issue....

Beans

I have a cluster of 19 nodes build on ubuntu server 8.10 and one,
    and only one of the nodes, displays the same problem. The nodes have the
    same hardware. I don't know how to solve it.

Leandro.

Beans

Actually I found out that, indeed, the CPU was heating up. Therefore, I found the problem because of those programs running and the messages they left on /var/log/messages. I'm not sure if they continuous and high-cpu usage is a bug. Reinstaling the CPU with a little more of that white paste solved the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well finally, this seems to be solved in Jaunty 9.04... Great :)

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I just installed Jaunty 64 bit and am having a problem with kacpid eating up 100% of cpu. I have searched and tried deactivating acpi services to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have run Dapper, Feisty, and Hardy in the past with no problem.

Beans

I'm runing Jaunty Jackelope 9.04 on my netbook and experience the same issues expressed here, but only when my laptop lid is closed.

At first I thought it had to do with heat of the processor, but it happens at any temperature. (I like how it looks with the lid closed on my desk)

I'm going to dig around a bit more, but I wanted to say something when I saw this thread. I have the power options set to do nothing when the lid is closed in case that's a question on a potential solution provider's mind.

Any recommendations?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thumbs down Re: kacpid & kacpi_notify eating up CPU

I had the same problem with my D250. When I closed the lid kacpid and kacpi_notify would spin up and eat 100% of my CPU, eventually leading to it overheating and freezing. I did a bit of research and discovered that this has been identified as a BIOS issue (http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13802).

I upgraded to the latest BIOS (available on the Acer support page), using the DOS install instructions inside the ZIP file from Acer, and these helpful step by step instructions on how to make a DOS bootable CD (http://www.linuxinsight.com/how-to-f...ppy-drive.html). Search down in the comments for the one with "The following is a brief" as the subject.

The issue is now resolved for me.

Hope that helps.