Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC's Rory Cellan-Jones Ubuntu Review

Beans

Re: BBC Tech guru chucks a few at Ubuntu…

The second comment down states that the Linux Community are a bunch of anti-microsoft fanatics. This ia generalisation, but unfortunately for the most part true. I find it everywhere, people raving about how **** Windows is and how Bill Gates is a bumboy etc. And yet there are a few sane souls out there who choose Linux because it works better for them, not because they just joined the IT version of Al-Qaeda.
    Sorry not a fascist anti windows user but I watched the program and found his comments a bit insulting, for 15hrs after the broadcast they spelt Ubuntu Ubunto After all Linux and open source might not be able to compete totally in the market as windows comes pre installed. I actually admire some of the things Bill Gates and Microsoft have done with charity etc.,the way they seem to bring up their family and treat their employees.
    -But microsoft are a ruthless giant intent on total control. The way they dealt with lotus and Netscape was unforgivable they refused discounts to vendors who pre installed non Microsoft software on their computers.Constantly governments have had to take them to court costing tax payers millions to comply with local rules.
    This guy has no idea how hard people work to make linux work and obviously thought Ubuntu is Linux he will be first in line to congratulate google when they release their os he has been blinded by the hype about ms.As for the small band of devs what abou t Novell Sun IBM Red Hat etc I know they mostly work on corporate stuff but much of it filters down.
    I started using Linux first Fedora then suse , ubuntu Mandriva Mint, because I had built my own computer and discovered a copy of windows would cost me almost as much as the computer and put me way over the cost of buying from a vendor.
    Bye the way My son and daughter both have windows computers but Ubuntu works fo me.
    Rant over
    pentium4 geforce 9400 1gb ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

How long did it take him to really learn to use windows? I'm guessing it was more than 24 hours.

Personal operating system preferences aside what kind of "tech guru" won't dedicate more than a day to learning a completely different technology?

Beans

I think the day was after he said a handful of fanatics ran "Ubunto" which is the BBC's spelling on their website.
    pentium4 geforce 9400 1gb ram

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    This guy has access to national TV, paid for by licence payers like me.

And this makes it not a blog how?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I thought it was a reasonable article. I'm sure half the users on this thread scoffing at him for not getting everything right on day one of using Ubuntu had similar stumbles when they switched.

No-one is born knowing how to use Ubuntu. I'm sure if he continues to play about with it he'll get the hang of it, just like we all did.

Good on Canonical for grabbing the opportunity he created by mentioning it on air though. Pity their guy that set up Flash for him didn't take two minutes to explain how to install software...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It is the same reaction I get from most people who I hand a live CD. The brown theme usually turns them off right there. We have talked about this for years, but Cannonical refuses to even add a few more theme choices during install.

Many here said he should have tried longer than a few hours. For an article, yes, I agree, but a few hours is more than most average people who are mildly curious will give Ubuntu. I spent hours and hours until I had it working smoothly on my desktop, and it took hours and hours until wireless and the touchpad worked properly on my laptop. It is fine for a geek, I enjoy toying around when I have time, but for the target audience of his blog and show this is not acceptable.

I use Linux myself, but I won't kid myself and believe that it is ready for the broad mass of desktop users. SuSE more so than Ubuntu. Out of the box, Ubuntu looks like something from 10+ years ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I do have to say that even though I don't like what this tech-guru has to say atleast Ubuntu made the news. Here in the U.S. the media are scared to death to say anything that might pull people away form the all mighty micro$oft, even though our new President uses Ubuntu on his pc.

Beans
    Distro

This guy's a tech guru? He's an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by that article
    The left hand side of the screen has a strip fulfilling the same purpose as the taskbar in Windows or the dock in Mac OS X, with quick access to key applications. You are provided with a range of open source software, from Firefox to Open Office, and can go online to the Ubuntu Software Centre to seek out other applications.
    He's describing some plugin, this is not related to Ubuntu. It has nothing to do with how Ubuntu functions, nor how it differs from Windows, plugins can be downloaded and installed into any operating system to customize your experience.

Getting connected to my home network proved reasonably simple - though I struggled to see other machines and devices on my network.
    Well to be honest, finding other machines on my network is not always reliable neither.

But when I tried to install a free open-source audio editing program, Audacity, it appeared more complex to get hold of an Ubuntu version than the one I've used on a Mac.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install audacious
    Oh, the difficulty......that was nearly exhausting......I think I almost had to hit Y during the install.

I also gave up on attempting to use the music streaming service Spotify, after a warning that, as there was no Linux version, I would first need to get hold of something called Wine which allows you to run Windows apps. Too much bother...
    What is it with these idiots and the Linux versions of things? Why do they always have to use another version of something? Why can't they just use an entirely new service which provides the same enjoyment? Try Pandora man, try Gnome Radio, try something else.

Faced with such consumer inertia it's hard to see Linux making much progress in boosting its miniscule market share.
    What market share? Linux doesn't have any, the market is measured in sales, not usage and you can't measure sales of something that's free. What market share does tap water have in the beverage industry? Zero because nobody sells tap water.

But remember, the future of computing is mobile - and in that new market for operating systems everything is still to play for.
    No it's not, you moron. Linux has been used as a mobile computer platform, especially in cell phones, for a long, long time. It's also used about 10 times the amount Windows Mobile is so I don't really think it's still to play for.

Risking another pasting from its supporters, I'll predict that Ubuntu will remain a very niche product - but it's Google's Android which could bring open-source to the mass consumer market.
    This whole article he's referred to Ubuntu as if it were Linux, he even mentioned Linux in its place once. I've ignored it until now, now I feel I have to comment on it. If you're going to refer to Ubuntu as Linux and then mention a Linux based product on top of it, you're embarrassing yourself.

Go home, do some research. You're not a tech guru, you're a guy that plays with toys off the shelf. A tech guru plays with toys before they hit the shelf.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Maheriano View Post
    He's describing some plugin, this is not related to Ubuntu. It has nothing to do with how Ubuntu functions, nor how it differs from Windows, plugins can be downloaded and installed into any operating system to customize your experience.
    No he's not. He's describing UNR running on a Dell netbook.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    No he's not. He's describing UNR running on a Dell netbook.
    I think that's a point missed by a lot of posters here, and in comments to his blog.

But, he is using the term Ubuntu as if he's using the desktop version, rather than UNR, and comparing it with the desktop version of Win 7.

He's all over the place and doesn't even realise it.
    Linux Registered User #401979
    Ubuntu Registered User #14181

Minds are like parachutes, dangerous if kept closed!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast