• I grew up with Ubuntu.

0 0%
  • Ubuntu is more professional.

3 7.89%
  • Just becase.

4 10.53%
  • I use both Windos and Ubuntu equally.

2 5.26%
  • I only use Windows because of compatibily issues.

8 21.05%
  • I am a programmer and can easily solve problems in Ubuntu

4 10.53%
  • Becasue of Peer Pressue.

1 2.63%
  • I wouldn't, Windows is better than Ubuntu.

3 7.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SICK of Ubuntu, Want windows. Need Help!

Beans

Red face SICK of Ubuntu, Want windows. Need Help!

I am not really sick of ubuntu, my problem is I need windows. I have an MSI U100 netbook that I installed Ubuntu on. From Win XP it was a sinch to put the install on a bootable thumb drive. The problem is I can't get windows on a bootable thumb drive from Ubuntu. It feels like I am on a one way street. (Going the wrong way.) I have the .iso intall file, how do I put it on a usb thumb drive so I can boot and install Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: SICK of Ubuntu, Want windows. Need Help!

Is Windows even designed to be bootable from a USB? I don't know how to go about it, sorry. Out of curiosity, what specifically do you need Windows for?

I did a search and found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=877688

Edit: The poll you added is unnecessary.
    Last edited by RichardLinx; October 24th, 2009 at 01:47 PM.

Beans

Smile Re: SICK of Ubuntu, Want windows. Need Help!

Maybe its because I don't know ubuntu enough but here are some of my issues.

- I have a low end Flap Panel display that doesn't support over 60hz refresh rate and everytime I use dosbos or emudos or even set my desktop rez too low my monitor pops up and says "not recommended settings" and shuts off after one minute.

- PPC Kitchen will not run.

If i voted on my own poll i would have to say i only use windows because of compatibily issues. I plan to go dual boot.

The problem is now I only have Ubuntu.

Beans

i have only been using ubuntu for about 10 hours. Bought a new laptop yesterday and installed it straight away after a freind had been using it for about a year. Im already seeing the benifits! Im sick to death of the generic approach of microsoft and their attempts to rob the world blind with their crap software!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

why not use virtualbox to run windows?
    and maybe this belongs in the cafe
    Keep your important files in HOSTS when ubuntu is installed with WUBI
    How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!
    'No PUB KEY' error? Try this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oh please no! Not an OS war!
    4,1 MacMini, 2.4GHz, 8Gram, 300G HD, OSX 10.7; Ubuntu 11.10; i7 6G ram 80,80,300 and 320G HD, Windoz 7, Mint 11, Debian 6.0.3,OpenSuse 11.4 and Fedora 15.

Beans
    Distro

I suggest you make a thread for your display issue while you try and figure out how to make a bootable Windows thumb drive. Windows XP was never designed to be booted off a USB so obviously it's not going to "just work" like Ubuntu seemed to. ("From Win XP it was a sinch to put the install on a bootable thumb drive")

You'll have to hope someone here knows how to do it and that they give you an answer or do some research your self. (Hint: Google)

Are you using Ubuntu desktop edition or the Netbook remix?
    See here: http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/unr

Good luck with the XP USB problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by motsteve View Post
    yes, the flames might start to burn you soon
    Keep your important files in HOSTS when ubuntu is installed with WUBI
    How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!
    'No PUB KEY' error? Try this!

Beans

I'm sorry if this looks like an OS war. Please, it is not. I really like Ubuntu, Open office is the best. I even us it when I am using windows.

- RichardLinx- the link shows a tutorial using Windows to make a bootable usb drive. This is what I will more than likely end up doing. I will have to go find someone with a windows machine and borrow it. and the poll was just because I am a noob at the forum and it looked cool.

-Correction. i don't want to boot windows XP from a thumb drive. I want to install it to my computer from a thumb drive
    Last edited by Yvelde; October 24th, 2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: misspelled words

Beans
    Distro

i have only been using ubuntu for about 10 hours. Bought a new laptop yesterday and installed it straight away after a freind had been using it for about a year. Im already seeing the benifits! Im sick to death of the generic approach of microsoft and their attempts to rob the world blind with their crap software!!
    This is why you shouldn't have added the poll. It's slowly degenerating from an installation issue into a thread with what can only be described as Ubuntu fanboys talking about how great an OS they only have 10 hours of experience with.
    Edit:
    - RichardLinx- the like shows a tutorial using Windows to make a bootable usb drive. This is what I will more than likely end up doing. I will have to go find someone with a windows machine and borrow it.
    That's probably the best way to go about it.
    Last edited by RichardLinx; October 24th, 2009 at 02:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast