Thread: Tv out on Radeon 7200

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Tv out on Radeon 7200

Hi All,

I've been scouring the internet for days trying to sort this out, with no luck. Hoping someone here has some insight.
    I'm running Jaunty on a relatively old system which has an ATI Radeon 7200 video card. The computer will be used exclusively with a TV, and I can't get seem to get the TV output to work. The entire boot process shows up on the TV, but as soon as X starts, it goes black (there's still a signal, it's just blank.) It's a completely fresh install, and I've tried a bunch of different things, from playing around with the xorg.conf file, to changing drivers, and found a promising solution here:
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Tvout
    Sadly, these instructions produced no results. While trying to build the driver, I'm running into multiple errors. Since the instructions were written for Edgy, I wasn't surprised.
    I'm not a complete Linux newbie, and I'm pretty comfortable with the terminal, but this is baffling me.

I hope someone out there has dealt with a similar problem, and might be able to help me out a bit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Tv out on Radeon 7200

I'ts been a while since I had to deal with ati drivers, but please post your
    Code:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    file and lets have a look

Edit: I might not be on-line much longer, so...It may simply be a refresh rate problem and as 9.04 will self config, just try renaming your xorg.conf to xorg.conf.bak and restart x or reboot. If that does not work post your xorg.conf contents as above and the output of
    Code:
    $ lspci -nn | grep VGA
    and
    Code:
    $ glxinfo |grep vendor
    and someone I'm sure will carry on, Good luck.
    Last edited by JBAlaska; October 24th, 2009 at 10:26 AM.
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Beans
    Distro

Well like I said, it was a fresh install, so when I started this whole mess, the xorg.conf was blank. It is current set up exactly as suggested in the link I posted:

Code:
    Section "Device" 
        Identifier "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]" 
        Driver "ati" 
        BusID "PCI:1:0:0" 
        Option "TVOutput" "NTSC"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "SyncMaster"
        HorizSync 30 - 50
        VertRefresh 60 - 60
        Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Default Screen"
        Device "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]" 
        Monitor "SyncMaster" 
        DefaultDepth 24 
        SubSection "Display" 
            Depth 24 
            Modes "800x600" 
        EndSubSection 
    EndSection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try this;
    Code:
    Section "Device" 
        Identifier "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]" 
        Driver "radeon" 
        BusID "PCI:1:0:0" 
        Option "TVOutput" "NTSC"
        Option "ForceTVOut" "ON"

EndSection
    Also make sure your BusID is correct with lspci (lspci reports hexadecimal numbers, xorg.conf needs decimal)

Also make sure Make sure libgl1-mesa-glx and libgl1-mesa-dri are properly installed:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri
    I have to get some sleep (have a early day), good luck!
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Beans
    Distro

I've tried the radeon driver as well, and reinstalled the packages you recommended. No luck! As for the BusID, I checked lpsci again, and the value listed was "00:1.0". I tried changing the value in xorg.conf to PCI:0:1:0, and now I can't even get an image on my monitor when X loads. Not sure how to fix that... I know I can get a command line up in grub, but I'm not sure if I can edit the xorg.conf file from there. Ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but the only reason it died off is because I gave up. I've come back to the problem now, and all of the above is still true, except that I'm now running 10.10.

This is mostly frustrating because I know there's a signal being output, but it's blank. I've tried endless permutations of settings in xorg.conf with no success. The TV displays the entire boot process, but as soon as X starts, the screen goes black. I'm using VNC to access the box, and it doesn't seem to be detecting the TV (nothing listed in Preferences > Monitors.)

I'm coming really close to just buying a VGA->composite converter, but it would be great if I didn't have to.

Beans

Have you checked the capabilities of the radeon and other candidate drivers for U 10.10
    I've the feeling that your card isn't supported in the latest releases for the radeon driver.
    The default for some radeon cards which I've tried with 10.04 was vesa - which was what set me hunting.
    I don't have details of the page to check, but it should be reachable from the x.org site
    Derek

Beans
    Distro

My card most definitely isn't supported in the latest drivers. The link in my first post outlines a patching process which is meant to fix this, but only guarantees it will work with Edgy. The patch got me from no signal at all to a blank one, so it was a step in the right direction.
    I played around with vesa a bit when I last explored this problem, with no success.