Thread: ATI Radeon 4350

Beans

ATI Radeon 4350

I am trying to install an ATI Radeon 4350 onto Ubuntu and am new to Linux in general. I got pissed off with windows one day and deleted that partition so I can't go there. I really like Ubuntu and have worked hard to get Skype and Wine and a few other programs working like I want but, I can't seem to get this new graphics card to work.

I've been looking around for the drivers to make this thing work. I install and do the things I think Im supposed to do. I plug in the card restart and I get no signal coming from the card or the old motherboard integrated GPU that came with this computer.

If someone was able to install this card successfully or is simply proficient enough to walk me through this, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: ATI Radeon 4350

Ok here's some more info about where I'm at. I couldn't find anything in the Hardware Driver program for ATI just NVidia (which I think comes from the poor built in graphics cards on my motherboard). I even tried the program envy or whatever its called that I saw on the internet as a possible solution.

Finally though I figured out how to use ATI's PDF instructions to install the driver. That worked but at the end of the instructions it says this:

Launch the Terminal Application/Window and run:
    For versions of X.Org newer than 7, /usr/bin/aticonfig --initial to configure the
    driver for your ATI product.

For versions of X.Org older than 7, /usr/X11R6/bin/aticonfig --initial to configure
    the driver for your ATI product.

I tried putting in both and got the message "No supported adapters detected"

That seems to say that I didnt install it correctly but everything up to that point seemed to suggest I had and had gone just as their instructions had said. I really don't want to reboot and get a black screen.