Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Revert from grub2 to Legacy Grub.

Beans

Re: HowTo: Revert from grub2 to Legacy Grub.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    For that matter I still rather like lilo for thumb drives - call me retro
    Yeah, that's a stitch.

I upgraded two machines in place yesterday - one normal Ubuntu installation and one Ubuntu server. Interestingly, on those machines, grub2 was not installed. Grub is still in use on them. I was clued in because one kept prompting me what to do with menu.lst and asking me if I wanted to install the package maintainer's version, and I was thinking, why would it be installing that?

Does anyone know if upgrades were setting up grub2 when Karmic first came out in October?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
    Yeah, that's a stitch.

I upgraded two machines in place yesterday - one normal Ubuntu installation and one Ubuntu server. Interestingly, on those machines, grub2 was not installed. Grub is still in use on them. I was clued in because one kept prompting me what to do with menu.lst and asking me if I wanted to install the package maintainer's version, and I was thinking, why would it be installing that?

Does anyone know if upgrades were setting up grub2 when Karmic first came out in October?
    Upgrades from Jaunty w/legacy grub stay on legacy grub. Only fresh installs get grub2, but you can change to grub2 if you wish.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thank you sooo much for this post. My stupid Grub2 was getting stuck at the Grub menu not counting down and no auto selecting. And I had to hit enter everytime. (Yes, I am that lazy, or maybe I just like things to work the way they were designed to.)

But anyway thank you so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for this tutorial, I too run into Grub 2 trouble after updating my Ubuntu (even when I deselect the new kernel, which seemed to cause the problem at first).

I need a little help figuring out which harddrive to install grub to, because I have an unusual configuration.

I use Wubi to install Ubuntu, and I can't switch to a physical partition just like that because I'm using a MacBook Pro.

Before Grub2, Wubi was the ideal solution to have a triple-boot system (Mac OS, Win XP, Ubuntu) without having to replace Apple firmware with rEFIt and manually creating partitions in the terminal and what not.

So what I know is that on this Mac, sda1 is where EFI resides, sda2 is where Mac OS X is installed and sda3 is the Windows partition. So I think I don't wanna install grub to sda or sda0, because that'll screw Apple's EFI and partition-table etc.

So can I just do this?
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda3
    If not, how would I go about figuring out where Wubi installed Grub 2? Is it in a config-file? Is it in the load-letter?

Thanks so much for the help in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by funkwurm View Post
    Thanks for this tutorial, I too run into Grub 2 trouble after updating my Ubuntu (even when I deselect the new kernel, which seemed to cause the problem at first).

I need a little help figuring out which harddrive to install grub to, because I have an unusual configuration.

I use Wubi to install Ubuntu, and I can't switch to a physical partition just like that because I'm using a MacBook Pro.

Before Grub2, Wubi was the ideal solution to have a triple-boot system (Mac OS, Win XP, Ubuntu) without having to replace Apple firmware with rEFIt and manually creating partitions in the terminal and what not.

So what I know is that on this Mac, sda1 is where EFI resides, sda2 is where Mac OS X is installed and sda3 is the Windows partition. So I think I don't wanna install grub to sda or sda0, because that'll screw Apple's EFI and partition-table etc.

So can I just do this?
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda3
    If not, how would I go about figuring out where Wubi installed Grub 2? Is it in a config-file? Is it in the load-letter?

Thanks so much for the help in advance.
    You might find some helpful info in the results of the Boot Info Script:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280

Unfortunately I know very little about Wubi and even less about Mac.

Beans

This reminds me of the old article on how to install the nVidia drivers from the nVidia site. There were 50 steps too many and it had you do a bunch of stuff you didn't need to do.

I don't like Grub 2 because it's buggy on my system and doesn't work properly. But Grub 1 works just fine.

To revert back to Grub 1, all you have to do is go to System > Administration > Synaptic, do a search for Grub, and click to install it. That'll automatically remove Grub 2. Then on the command line, issue the command "sudo update-grub", say yes to create menu.lst, then "sudo grub-install hd0" and you're done. That even leaves you with the option of chainloading into the leftover Grub 2 files from the Grub boot menu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gannin View Post
    This reminds me of the old article on how to install the nVidia drivers from the nVidia site. There were 50 steps too many and it had you do a bunch of stuff you didn't need to do.

I don't like Grub 2 because it's buggy on my system and doesn't work properly. But Grub 1 works just fine.

To revert back to Grub 1, all you have to do is go to System > Administration > Synaptic, do a search for Grub, and click to install it. That'll automatically remove Grub 2. Then on the command line, issue the command "sudo update-grub", say yes to create menu.lst, then "sudo grub-install hd0" and you're done. That even leaves you with the option of chainloading into the leftover Grub 2 files from the Grub boot menu.
    But having "mixed" grub2 and legacy grub files in /boot/grub interferes with a few things. You'll see when kernels don't update properly, or you can't get all functions of Startup Manager to work properly, etc

OTOH you could write your own how-to.

Beans

But having "mixed" grub2 and legacy grub files in /boot/grub interferes with a few things. You'll see when kernels don't update properly, or you can't get all functions of Startup Manager to work properly, etc

OTOH you could write your own how-to.
    Actually, everything works just fine for me. And, as I mentioned before, because the old Grub 2 files are still there, you automatically get a new entry in the Grub boot menu titled "Chainload into Grub 2" that lets you boot into your Grub 2 configuration if you really want to. It's automatically setup to work this way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gannin View Post
    Actually, everything works just fine for me. And, as I mentioned before, because the old Grub 2 files are still there, you automatically get a new entry in the Grub boot menu titled "Chainload into Grub 2" that lets you boot into your Grub 2 configuration if you really want to. It's automatically setup to work this way.
    Well, don't be surprised if "update-grub" fails to pick up a kernel update

Beans

Well, don't be surprised if "update-grub" fails to pick up a kernel update
    Actually, I've been using Grub 1 using the method I outlined above ever since 9.10 came out, and it automatically picks up every kernel update and adds it to the Grub boot menu. Similarly, if I remove an old kernel, it'll automatically remove that kernel's entries from the Grub menu too . So as I said, it works fine. It automatically gives you the option of chainloading into your old Grub 2 files, and it automatically updates the Grub boot menu with the addition and removal of kernels.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast