Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: HowTo: Revert from grub2 to Legacy Grub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HowTo: Revert from grub2 to Legacy Grub.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I just had a silly thought. Were both the 64 bit and 32 bit installation media produced with Unetbootin?

I don't currently have 64 bit hardware to test on, but I will have in a few weeks. In fact I have a new mobo and CPU coming next week, but I have Oneiric testing to complete in the meanwhile (eleven days left to go) and I need to decide what case and other peripherals to use once I get it

But I very strongly suspect a problem with the installation media, no idea if it's an Ubuntu bug or something to do with Unetbootin.

Once we get a solid partitioning plan in place I think it would be wise to create a new 64 bit Live USB using your newly installed 32 bit with Ubuntu's own "Startup Disk Creator" just to be sure it's not a problem with how Unetbootin is handling the creation.

And always check the disk/USB integrity as previously explained

BTW, oldfred is very darn good at partitioning layouts
    My long reply is still being composed, so to answer you now, YES, I used Unetbootin. I also tried the Ubuntu Startup Disk creator before - same results. Infinite loop at POST. So using Unetbootin & the Ubuntu startup disk creator in my Dual Boot PC (Maverick x64 / Windows 7 x64) yielded similar results, at least on my hardware. I hope you can get your 64-bit HW soon, so you can confirm also. My notebook is using AMD E-350 APU, I'm not sure if there may be differences.

I had checked the Live USB data integrity first before install. I'm inclined this is a bug (I might be wrong though). If so, at least it might be fixed before Oneiric.
    Last edited by ProNux; October 2nd, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
    i5-750/P55-UD3P/HD4850 1GB DDR3/4GB DDR3 A-Data Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Natty/Igelle 1.0.0 DSV /Windows7 x64 (for gaming)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The first place I want to start is double checking your current partitioning setup. I noticed you created a fairly large FAT16 partition:

Is that for data? I think FAT16 is a poor choice but I'd like to know what you have in mind there.
    You are right; that empty partition is for Data. I wonder where did you get the FAT16 when I haven't formatted it yet.

Actually, since I have plenty of time this morning, I tried at least three tests.
    One instance, when my dual boot (Natty x86 & Win7 x64) was already working, I installed Natty x64 on another partition and somewhat "fooled" the installation process where to install GRUB of x64 (since I don't want to use the x64 GRUB) - I inserted another USB stick and installed the x64 GRUB there, and later remove!

When I finally finished (hence, triple boot now), as expected I cannot boot Natty x64 because I already removed the USB stick where the x64 GRUB was installed. I just booted to Natty x86 and ran
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    so it can add entries to the x86 GRUB menu list. Easy BCD was still used.

I rebooted, and finally had a successful triple boot (never thought I would end up in a triple-boot when I had spent weeks just to enable dual boot . Actually I can already live with this, but in essence, I still have not yet understood the whole scenario, and if there is really a bug.

I reformatted/wiped the disk (again) just for the sake of experiments. This time I wanted to use the x86 GRUB with Natty x64. I ended up creating a dedicated GRUB partition (1st partition, 10MB, ext2 format), reinstalling Windows, and then Natty x86. Dual boot is working through EasyBCD (without EasyBCD, I could not Dual boot).

Now since I just wanted the Natty x64 & GRUB x86, I installed Natty x64 on the partition of Natty x86, overwriting. Again, I directed x64 GRUB to the USB stick. Installation done.
    Reboot, and now I cannot boot Natty x64. I tried to boot x64 live USB to do chroot and install grub manually but I get the same errors like in my post 63, as below.
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
    Last experiment, since I have another Linux iso, this time, it's Mint Katya x86, I tried to Dual-boot it with Windows x64, overwriting the GRUB partition with the GRUB in Mint's Live USB.

Result: Working fine, still with EasyBCD.

So I confirmed, at least two x86 distros (albeit Mint Katya is based in Ubuntu) are working with their default x86 GRUBs.

Based on your snapshot, you did not allocate a separate GRUB partition. Any disadvantages?

So my snapshot is below. Can we start experimenting on my current setup? Sorry if I destroyed the first setup. If you suggest to reinstall and remove the GRUB partition, that would be okay. The last partition is unformatted yet and is intended for data.

By the way, tomorrow is Monday, and my time to experiment is only when I got home at night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot--dev-sda - GParted.png 
Views:	164 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	203410  
    Last edited by ProNux; October 2nd, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
    i5-750/P55-UD3P/HD4850 1GB DDR3/4GB DDR3 A-Data Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Natty/Igelle 1.0.0 DSV /Windows7 x64 (for gaming)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ProNux View Post
    My long reply is still being composed, so to answer you now, YES, I used Unetbootin. I also tried the Ubuntu Startup Disk creator before - same results. Infinite loop at POST. So using Unetbootin & the Ubuntu startup disk creator in my Dual Boot PC (Maverick x64 / Windows 7 x64) yielded similar results, at least on my hardware. I hope you can get your 64-bit HW soon, so you can confirm also. My notebook is using AMD E-350 APU, I'm not sure if there may be differences.

I had checked the Live USB data integrity first before install. I'm inclined this is a bug (I might be wrong though). If so, at least it might be fixed before Oneiric.
    I think you're right about this being a bug with the 64 bit "installer". The live installer is "ubiquity".

The best way I can think of to troubleshoot this is to decide on a sane partitioning layout for you. No need to reinstall Windows again

Then set up a multi-boot with your existing 32 bit and a new 64 bit install - even if it fails as usual - and file a bug against ubiquity which will, if we do it right, collect some bug info to begin the debugging effort.

But let's go one step at a time because filing a bug against an unbootable OS requires a specific procedure

Very basically, you'd install but rather than rebooting to see if it boots you'd choose to "continue testing" and run the BIS. Then look at the results and see if grub installed where you told it to.

Then, if it once again did not install, you'd file a bug using the terminal by running:

Code:
    ubuntu-bug ubiquity
    Then give it a title like, Natty amd64 ubiquity fails to install grub. That may need modified but it's best to keep titles fairly basic.

That would collect some info from the installation process, but you should then leave that installation installed for quite a while if possible.

I do know how to properly install grub (either version) using a chroot, but it's not super duper simple. Well, it is to me, but there are a number of things to take into consideration

So lets figure out a truly appropriate partitioning scheme and then work from there. After wasting a week or so I hope you'll be patient now that we're beginning to narrow this down.

I very much appreciate your dedication to getting this figured out. Ubuntu needs more dedicated users such as yourself

Beans

I have personally never used a separate grub partition and I'll certainly waste no more time helping you because you fail to follow my detailed instructions time after time!

That's it! I'm done! Find someone else to help you!

If you wish you can report me to the forum mods, but I have other things to do and I will not waste my time on someone that's impatient and refuses to follow instructions!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have personally never used a separate grub partition and I'll certainly waste no more time helping you because you fail to follow my detailed instructions time after time!

That's it! I'm done! Find someone else to help you!

If you wish you can report me to the forum mods, but I have other things to do and I will not waste my time on someone that's impatient and refuses to follow instructions!
    I have followed you since the previous pages, and what I did above are "extras" since I have enough time yesterday, so while waiting for you until midnight (local time), at least I can do more tests and give results. You might misunderstood me. I gave you the data you need, and I can continue or start over again as to what setup you want in my own expense of time.

If you think I have not followed you, think again. But anyway, thanks for your effort.
    Last edited by ProNux; October 3rd, 2011 at 03:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Closed - information available at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...to_GRUB_Legacy

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678