Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Failing Hard Drive

Beans

Re: Failing Hard Drive

Well, I just ordered a new HD. I did so because the number of bad sectors increased by 10 and I got another error.
    Code:
    Read Error Rate
    Frequency of errors while reading raw data from the disk. A non-zero value indicates a problem with either the disk surface or read/write heads.
    Under the Assessment column for this category it says:
    Code:
    Failing
    Then under the Value column there is:
    Code:
    Normalized: 50
    Worst: 50
    Threshold: 62
    Value: 768612578
    I think this means that it is basically dead. Thank you all and please correct me if I am wrong.

Beans

The read error rate came back down . How does this happen? What does it mean? Also, it says that my HD "has many bad sectors", instead of what it said for a while ("Hard Drive Failure imminent" or someting like that.) What does all this mean?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It means the tool is doing it's job. As stated before manufacturing tools can be sort of magical when it comes to repair. SO overall the outlook for the drive has improved, continue with the low level format and hope for the best. But you should also know that this could be a mirage.
    I mean that the tool could be either repairing the sectors or masking the bad sectors by rewriteing the flow of the drive around the bad sectors. Thus less bad sectors are detected after each repair, but at the same time the drive is lossing capacity as more sectors are written out of the flow.
    * Challenges are meant to be overcome;
    so adapt, attack and overcome! *
    http://www.feralbytes.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12