Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion of CrossOver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Opinion of CrossOver?

Hi,
    I was looking to buy CrossOver for Linux gaming, but I wanted to first get people's opinions of it.

Is it worth it? Does it really do that much better than WINE? Any complaints?

edin9 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Opinion of CrossOver?

Quote Originally Posted by ngrieb View Post
    Hi,
    I was looking to buy CrossOver for Linux gaming, but I wanted to first get people's opinions of it.

Is it worth it? Does it really do that much better than WINE? Any complaints?
    You can get a free 7-day trial of Crossover Games here.

WINE is better IMO.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I purchased crossover games, for some things it is better, also they do have a list of software/games which they guarantee will work, if you have any issues with the software/games you do get support for it.

I have been happy with crossover and have used it for quite a few different games. Your mileage may very depending on the apps/games your trying to run.

OS: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS|| CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 || RAM: 3GB DDR2(PC-6400) || Display: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1024mb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Worth every penny (and some of those pennies get donated back to the Wine project sooo)

Check the link in my sig for my full review of the product

~Jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Been using it since the lame duck challenge last year. 7.2 was pretty good and 8 is great!

I used to run everything under WINE but honestly it sometimes took a lot of work to get things working cleanly. Crossover games and office has been great. Even though I got it for free through the challenge, I'm looking at purchasing it for a couple computers at home.

I've been switching my kids games from their windows partition to Ubuntu the last few months. What doesn't work I've warned them will be replaced with something similar that runs either natively or through crossover games.

I recommend it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I attempted to run the demo, but immediately became frustrated with it when trying to install the HL2: Game of the Year pack. It has multiple CD's, and after searching for hours, I found no way to eject CD one and load CD2 (wine eject, is much easier).

If anyone knows how to do this let me know please... I only have 6 more days...

Also another game (Dark Messiah) I originally had working under WINE stopped working under WINE 1.1.31, and this game seems to have the same problem under Crossover (luckily got this installed cause it was a DVD). Is there a compatibility issue if both are installed?

So far I'm not too impressed, but perhaps someone can help me along

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Download them via Steam? Or try running
    Code:
    wine eject
    to force the disc to eject. Or if that doesn't work install the game through plain Wine and then copy the install over to you Codeweavers.

What issues is Dark Messiah giving you? I have that installed and it runs pretty flawlessly for me.

~Jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

(1) wine eject didn't work for Crossover, I did give it a try
    (2) and on WINE 1.1.31 Dark Messiah gives me an error prompt reading:

dxdllreg.exe has encountered problems...sounds like Direct X? Could it be that the install comes with Direct X and it did/didn't install?

As far as I know WINE runs a DirectX pipe to OpenGL or something odd like that, so I suppose it doesn't need to be installed??? How would I get rid of any DirectX installs then if that is the case?

(3) If the game exists in WINE, how do I get Crossover to recognize it?

I'm running 8.10 with a Radeon X1650 Pro btw.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by ngrieb; October 23rd, 2009 at 08:08 AM.

edin9 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ngrieb View Post
    (1) wine eject didn't work for Crossover, I did give it a try
    (2) and on WINE 1.1.31 Dark Messiah gives me an error prompt reading:

dxdllreg.exe has encountered problems...sounds like Direct X? Could it be that the install comes with Direct X and it did/didn't install?

As far as I know WINE runs a DirectX pipe to OpenGL or something odd like that, so I suppose it doesn't need to be installed??? How would I get rid of any DirectX installs then if that is the case?

(3) If the game exists in WINE, how do I get Crossover to recognize it?

I'm running 8.10 with a Radeon X1650 Pro btw.

Thanks a lot.
    If you're running an ATi card with WINE forget it. You've got more chance of finding the holy grail than getting it to work properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by edin9 View Post
    If you're running an ATi card with WINE forget it. You've got more chance of finding the holy grail than getting it to work properly.
    Odds are that is the source of your issues (game play wise) the ATI drivers are horrid.

To get your Files from a Wine install to Codeweavers just copy the Steam folder from your ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files to ~/.cxgames/winxp/drive_c/Program\ Files (Make sure you have Steam installed in the winxp bottle first)

Also remember you can file for support for ANY game. And for ones that are "officially support" you are guaranteed a response. Remember to do this - a large part of what you are paying for with Codeweavers is not just the software but the support that comes with it as well (and they have great support staff)

~Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast