Thread: Let's bring FREE GEEK to the Boston area!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Let's bring FREE GEEK to the Boston area!

FREE GEEK is an organization out of Portland, Oregon that recycles & refurbishes old computer equipment and gives functioning computers away to volunteers who put in a minimum number of hours. They also give working computers to schools & nonprofits, and they offer free classes covering a full range of computer related topics. One of the outstanding features of Free Geek is that they use UBUNTU LINUX as the default operating system on the units that are refurbished.

I think this is a model that could be easily adapted to the Boston area. I've already begun discussions with a youth program leader in Cambridge who may be able to provide classroom space and a dozen or so donated computers to get the ball rolling.

Please visit the following site ...

http://www.freegeek.org/

and if this sounds like something you'd like to get involved with, please reply to this thread and/or contact me directly at 617-605-7429.

Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Let's bring FREE GEEK to the Boston area!

It's something we already do at the SETC, we refirbish computers with ubuntu from a PXE boot server and send them out to those in need.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That is great that there is a provider in the area that does similar work as freegeek. there are freegeek franchises just contact them and get set up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Re: Let's bring FREE GEEK to the Boston area!

Quote Originally Posted by mselva View Post

I think this is a model that could be easily adapted to the Boston area. I've already begun discussions with a youth program leader in Cambridge who may be able to provide classroom space and a dozen or so donated computers to get the ball rolling.

and if this sounds like something you'd like to get involved with, please reply to this thread and/or contact me directly at 617-605-7429.

Michael
    Hi Michael,

I would be interested in volunteering. It is both a concern for reuse of hardware that might go to landfill, and a way to promote foss. Personally, I find the South End location uninviting to community members outside of the local neighborhood. Keep me informed!

Gerard

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not in Boston, but we do have FreeGeek where I am (a freind of mine is very active with them) and I do have to salute them for the job they do and the opertunities they provide.
    good luck getting it set up!