Thread: [World of Goo] How do you build a tall structure?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

[World of Goo] How do you build a tall structure?

Does anyone have tips on how to build a really tall structure?

Beans

Re: [World of Goo] How do you build a tall structure?

I suppose more Goo helps...

That and building in a triangle-ish shape.

Oh, and think fast

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Triangles, it's all in the triangles.

Beans

Yes, what was said before about triangles. It's the most stable (geometrically speaking) way to build a simple, tall structure.

Example: Great Pyramids.

... I guess actually they have a square base, but they could have used a triangular base just as well. The point is upwards, though, in which it's still a useful example.

Beans

Right now, on the Corporation of Goo level I'm building a pyramid. Before I was able to get a taller tower by building up a little faster than building up. The problem is you have to be careful. You do tend to have to narrow as you go up, even if you don't do a perfect pyramid. It's too easy to overestimate how high you can go without widening more. If you get it wrong once, there's little chance of recovering in a good way.

On the regular levels you rarely have enough Goo balls to be able to do pyramids though so you have to learn how sturdy a Goo lattice is. You can sometimes get amazing support by widening the base of a wobbly tower by one triangle or by reaching out to touch something for support. Also different kinds of Goo seem to have different properties. (Strength of bonds, elasticity, length of bonds, number of bonds, breakable bonds, etc) Sometimes a bit of wobble in a vertical structure with the green Goo isn't too bad, but don't expect them to handle long narrow horizontal structures without breaking.

Get to know your Goo. And don't be afraid to use time flies when you have them and something starts to collapse.

Edd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

make a pyramid but make holes in the structure where it isn't needed anymore and put that on the next layer on top. Its the same principle as with arches, they can carry the weight so you can remove the stuff from the inside and put a glass window there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Bölvağur View Post
    make a pyramid but make holes in the structure where it isn't needed anymore and put that on the next layer on top. Its the same principle as with arches, they can carry the weight so you can remove the stuff from the inside and put a glass window there.
    I'll go with that tactic as well.

But it's fun to see how tall you can build a tower by one square all the way!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I learn by watching where the weak point is when my tower falls. Basically it's a question of not building up unless you have enough of a structure to support you underneath and also of course, balance.

Here's a video of someone building Tower of Goo really fast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKXgEj2aEbk

Don't watch unless you've already played this level.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bölvağur View Post
    Something like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

That video reminded me of two more tips. If the tower looks like it going to fall one way, you can sometimes stop it by putting weight on the other end. Goo balls have weight whether they are in the structure or on it. Second, you usually on have to reach the pipe. It's vacuum can often hold you there once you reach it.