Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Software to Limit Your Kids’ Online and/or Computer Time

Beans

Question Linux Software to Limit Your Kids’ Online and/or Computer Time

Hi,

I'm looking for Linux software that can limit time on computer and being online under Ubuntu. Is there any?

Beans

Re: Linux Software to Limit Your Kids’ Online and/or Computer Time

PAM is built in to ubuntu, but it's kind of complicated to use... There is a lot of configuring.

BUT, if you are interested, you can google "PAM (pluggable authentication modules)" and read up on it.

I imagine it works excellently, but haven't found the time to configure things yet :-\

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Kids spending too much time on a computer can indicate social problems. You may want to consider spending more time with them, either introducing them to sports and other activities that are interesting for them or meeting them with friends...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GrzegorzJZD View Post
    I'm looking for Linux software that can limit time on computer and being online under Ubuntu. Is there any?
    One way is to configure the router with access rules. Some routers have rules that can control access to individual services (smtp, ftp, http, etc) by time of day and by day of week and apply the rules to an IP address or a MAC address.

One of my children was quite unable to moderate internet time, and we agreed (err...) a schedule that had email all the time and fixed web access sessions. And then there was the Grounded rule that was switched on for any kind of infraction, like looking at me funny.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

GrzegorzJZD,

This looks like it might work for you: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=887769.
    Last edited by jmszr; October 21st, 2009 at 10:09 PM.

Beans

@jmszr: Timekeepr looks nice, I will definitely check it. Thanks.

@osomphane: Thanks for psychological bµllshit. This is Ubuntu Forum and I was asking for a program name, not advices how to raise kids.

@all: Parental Controls Tools are very popular and there are special build-in software or features in Windows and Mac. It's very surprising (in a bad way) that there is now such a program for Linux users, neither in GNOME nor in KDE.

Beans

I used timekeepr and it's not nearly as flexible as I'd like but it does the job. 'Course if you dual-boot it just encourages them to go back to Windows.

Also, Ubuntu Christian Edition contains a parental controls system; it should be installable on any any Ubuntu system, though I'm not sure how (I don't think the graphical front end is in the repos -- I use a centralized web filter on my home server personally.)
    Last edited by lykwydchykyn; November 14th, 2009 at 06:29 PM.

Beans

It's called a timer. You set the timer and when it reaches bam goes the power/internet.

You could use shutdown for one period of time

Code:
    sudo shutdown -hP HH:MM

Beans

@SuperSonic4: If I use shutdown anyone will be just force to shutdown computer after a specified time, after that will be able to start computer for another period of time. That sucks.

@lykwydchykyn: Thanks for information, but for now I don't now any other software to setup time limits in useing computer. Better this than nothing. But I'm sill opened for other tips

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you are looking to limit content, Dan's Guardian is supposed to be good. I am going to set it up for some friends soon but from research that is the one. Don't know if it has a timer though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast