Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Customizing Grub2 boot menu

Beans

Re: Customizing Grub2 boot menu

Quote Originally Posted by nanouk View Post
    Worked mostly as indicated, but there were a few differences in the files; I just figured it out by reading the code and knowing what you meant as opposed to following blindly. Thanks for a great little tweak. Works fine.
    N.
    I'm not sure if you are referring to what I posted. But if this is the case, I want to highlight that the Windows menu entry MUST be edited according to the current entry in the grub.cfg file. Furthermore, it is important to check the new grub.cfg file created to see if any strange character was missinterpreted by the script. I have edited the post above to mention that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Very cool, thank you for your tutorial.

Beans
    Hidden!

there is probably a very simple solution to this but i cannot copy my pic into the folder

I get

"There was an error moving the file into /usr/share/images/desktop-base. Error moving file: permission denied"

WTF? went into users and groups and I'm the admin and have all the permissions checked???

searching the help files but if anyone has an idea...
    thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You need to move your picture into place with sudo.

RootSudo - Community Ubuntu Documentation
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by zarf View Post
    there is probably a very simple solution to this but i cannot copy my pic into the folder

I get

"There was an error moving the file into /usr/share/images/desktop-base. Error moving file: permission denied"

WTF? went into users and groups and I'm the admin and have all the permissions checked???

searching the help files but if anyone has an idea...
    thanks
    Before You move the pic to /usr/share/images/desktop-base, Open a terminal and type su root enter root password. (** If the password has not been set up....type command- sudo password OR su password and asks fo new UNIX password twice. Now your password is set). Then try to move the file that should work

--Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by venkatad View Post
    Before You move the pic to /usr/share/images/desktop-base, Open a terminal and type su root enter root password. (** If the password has not been set up....type command- sudo password OR su password and asks fo new UNIX password twice. Now your password is set). Then try to move the file that should work

--Cheers
    Wow, no need to set a root password to move a file =)

Use sudo.

RootSudo - Community Ubuntu Documentation
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Updated successfully but the image doesn't show up in the grub menu, I don't think the colors changed either. And yes I did make sure I set the value to true instead of false. The resolution change worked fine. So I'm guessing it has something to do with the debian theme file.
    Last edited by ghostier; November 24th, 2009 at 06:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Re: Customizing Grub2 boot menu

I get a full screen but no image and after booting ubuntu from the bootloader I get this

vga=792 depreciated

then normal ubuntu loading splash screen

I had this problem before with grub 1 so I ended up redoing the grub files

Any suggestions?
    thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

thanks for the help. I cannot get past permission denied.

tried setting pswd for root but nothing happens. I cannot even delete files from My cptr. permission denied.

even the "send to trash is greyed out.

I will post a question and not tie up this thread anymore. getting off topic with my problems

thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Everything is working great for me except after I select my OS from the Grub menu, I get a one or two second flash of colors and characters (letters, numbers symbols). It's almost like some graphics hardware diagnostics tests I've seen. I didn't have this issue before I customized Grub2 to load an image.

It's not a huge deal, but I thought maybe someone else had seen it. I have a Dell laptop with integrated NVidia graphics (see details in my sig).
    “You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is: never try.” --Homer Simpson

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast