Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 32 bit systems becomes junkies...

Beans
    Hidden!

2011 32 bit systems becomes junkies...

Hi, I just wanted to make a post about future computer stuff.

I read on a AMD fourm that cpus by 2011 will be using 128 bits and will be capadable with 64bit systems only. It indicates that 32bit systems will be no longer supported by 2011.

I just want people here thinking to buy a computer to try and get a 64bit system if they need to buy the computer right away or wait till 2011.

They were talking about crazy stuff for 2011 computer systems. Like 29 gigs or ram max.

Here is another fourm talking about it: http://forums.legitreviews.com/about18466.html

They even said that microsoft is already working on windows 8 and windows 9 which will have 128 bit versions.

I would like to hear what you guys here on ubuntu think about this?

what will linux do in the upcoming years?

Beans

Re: 2011 32 bit systems becomes junkies...

With 2011 only 14 months away and 64bit systems not fully advantage taken of i call bull.
    Dell Studio XPS 1645, Intel I7 720QM, 4GB DDR 3 1333, SONY NEC BC-5600S Blu-Ray / dvd drive, ATI 4670

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by surfed View Post
    With 2011 only 14 months away and 64bit systems not fully advantage taken of i call bull.
    +1 on that! How many basic web servers probably run on 32-bit systems? Plus, since the laptop market always lags behind the desktop market in terms of system strength (for obvious reasons of compactness, among others) virtually all companies would be hard pressed to develop laptops that can maintain a 64-bit, but especially a 128-bit system. A lot of laptops now can run 64-bit systems, but the fact that some hardware doesn't even support 64-bit yet, it seems far too early for an entirely new transition to be in the works.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, I am hearing alot of stuff that indicates that by 2011 we will have 128bit systems.

I also heard many other people say the same what you said. Like why would they do that too fast? We haven't used fully the 64bit systems.

Yet I am heard from employees in microsoft and many other areas saying it's right now in the works. The next game consoles will have these 128bit systems under their hood.

Here is another article about microsoft leaks about windows 8 and 9:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/enterpri...-and-windows-9

I wounder what linux would do? Are the makers of ubuntu and other linux distrib planning right now to make an OS or a new version that will support such systems by year 2011.?

To me if this is true then I would have to say technology progression is speeding up. I mean it may seem we will skip the 64bit era. and Just go right now the 128bit era.

TO me this news sounds exciting. I mean I wounder how good the video games will get.

Their is alot of talk about this on the internet.

So I would love to hear what linux developers have in development right now for 2011.?

I personally thought microsoft will lose their shirts with windows 7. I mean if they have poor record sales. I met many people that said they will not buy windows 7. They will stick with what they have. I know people who downgraded from windows vista to windows xp and don't plan to buy windows 7 which comes out this Thursday.

I would agree that yes I think that we should stick a while with 64bit systems.

I currently don't own a 64bit system just nothing but 3 32bit systems.

I am right now looking to buy 3 more computers but woundering if it would be smart to either wait till 2011 or buy a 64bit system right now.

I heard they are more targeting businesses for the 128bit systems since it will be kinda pricy when they first arrive.

Keep the replies coming..

Beans

Except for some specialized areas like cryptography, I can't think of any good reason to own a 128-bit processor.

Beans

From your link:
    it's highly unlikely that the OS will arrive until 2012 at the earliest.

Also, i dont see the point.
    Dell Studio XPS 1645, Intel I7 720QM, 4GB DDR 3 1333, SONY NEC BC-5600S Blu-Ray / dvd drive, ATI 4670

Beans
    Hidden!

ya microsoft said either late 2011 or by 2012 windows 8 will come out.

They are not giving a solid date. It's currently in the works.

However AMD says' their 128bit cpus will be on the market by early 2011.

This means AMD may be the first to release a 128bit cpu this is their plan. I am not sure if any new game console will come out by 2011. I just have a hunch the game consoles will be a 128bit system.

Here is some other talk about it: http://forums.n4g.com/tm.aspx?high=&...mpage=1#728318

Beans

But why? The only advantage 64 bits have is more than 4gb memory up to an insane amount actually 17179869184GB. Everything else runs slower. 64-bit pointers take twice as much memory, and operands take twice as much time. The 64-bit architecture is, for all intents and purposes, future-proof. There is no reason we would even potentially need more memory addressing capability for any known application in the forseeable future. Even if the "128-bit" CPU they reffering to is only 128-bits in terms of certain isolated capabilities, rather than memory addressing, it still makes no sense to call them 128-bit CPUs. In fact, modern processors are allready capable of dealing with more than 128-bits in a single instruction (SSE instructions for instance). I think if whatever they are going to call 128-bit will be pure marketing or exclusive for the server market.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think it's more geared for the businesses. Like for servers or any company that uses computers heavily for heavy tasks.

I know 64bit has a hug amout of memory adressing. 128bit will exceed this limit. It really won't make a difference but I think if they make 128bit systems and if you buy these 128bit systems you will have a computer that will take a while to be outdated. Depends really on the motherboard makers.

I just brought it up to figure out what will linux OS's would make OS'S that will be compatible with the 128bit systems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You have to remember that a lot of kernel devs work for the cpu manufacturers, so I'm sure if they were to manufacture 128-bit cpu's, Linux will support them, probably before Microsoft even creates a running version of Windows.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast