Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gnome-shell / clutter unusably slow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Gnome-shell / clutter unusably slow.

Experiencing this problem as well - It is definitely not a hardware problem, since gnome-shell worked just fine in the past on my current (pretty old Intel GM965) hardware.

It seems that some upgrade broke some element of clutter or Xorg.

Beans

I have exactly the same problem. I filed a bug here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....0/+bug/572465 If someone could help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It was working for me a month or so ago and got unusably slow after an update. They must have changed something in Clutter that doesn't play well with certain (Intel atleast) graphics cards.

Anyway, on their "stuff that should work but doesn't" page, they mention a workaround for Intel-based graphics cards:

type:
    Code:
    export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none
    before typing:
    Code:
    gnome-shell --replace
    Worked for me, I'm now using it and it's not slow. Still not sure if I like yet.

Beans
    Hidden!

Im not convinced either, but i see some good idea's. I just wonder, i can add desktop (or should that be workspaces) by clicking the + icon, but how do I remove desktops?

Beans

Well the export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none trick worked for me. But gnome shell is really annoying the way everthing is bloody jammed into that activities button a bit like windows start button... except I need to click it when I want to switch applications as well.... and it all crammed into a side pane.... :-/

Hopefully things improve... Im sure it has potential.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

gnome-shell is ridiculously slow for me as well. Running an ATI 3850. I tried the work around mentioned above for the heck of it; no dice.

Beans

Same here, incredibly slow, clutter_vblank=none doesn't work for me, and gnome-shell worked on the exact same system up to about a month ago. GeForce 5200 FX card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I realize this thread is a week old, but I just wanted to say that the export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none
    workaround works for me. Not sure if I like gnome-shell so far. Looks like it has potential though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

hey guys!
    i'm using the gnome shell since two months ago and i think it's great!
    only one thing..the animation are really "strange" compared to the animations with the compiz. With compiz they're fast, clean, precise...exactly the opposite with the gnome shell: rough, "slow"..
    i suppose is a clutter/mutter problem...my video card (intel gma 4500HD) seems to work great so far.
    the "export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none" does change nothing for me..

i'm using ubuntu 10.04, gnome shell from ppa (2.31.2), kernel 2.6.32-22, gnome 2.30.

anyone could explain to me something?

thanks!

Beans

I have an intel chipset for my laptop graphics and the export command fixes the issue for me. I hate to disable compiz first. On my other system that didn't seem to be a prerequisite.
    Last edited by sonicb00m; June 4th, 2010 at 09:38 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast