Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 32 bit systems becomes junkies...

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 2011 32 bit systems becomes junkies...

Quote Originally Posted by surfed View Post
    As I stated before its not about how the program was written but due to the fact that 64-bit pointers take twice as much memory, and operands take twice as much time. So unless the program takes advantage of the bigger ram available to 64-bit systems there is no advantage.
    Agreed: the 64-bit pointers take twice the amount of memory, and there's a corresponding overhead with (other) operands.

Believe it or not, sometimes I miss programming for MS-DOS and putting in a small effort to make sure the program won't do nasty things on a machine that's configured slightly differently to mine.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

32 bit systems have a sell by date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

In year 2038 all 32bit will be useless, so i guess that starting to replace everything a while before is a good idea, but 27 years early??
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - 6 GB RAM Mushkin DDR3 1333 - ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3

Adding more and more extensions to the already very old and bloated x86 architecture isn't going to help. Getting away from the Outdated `IBM PC compatible' hardware would be a massive step in the right direction, it still uses a 16 bit BIOS for goodness sake.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    You have to remember that a lot of kernel devs work for the cpu manufacturers, so I'm sure if they were to manufacture 128-bit cpu's, Linux will support them, probably before Microsoft even creates a running version of Windows.
    +1

Also to piggy back on th is. If we was to jump into the 128bit bandwagon, we can always include existing 64bit library files for a compatibility layer (I.e; for Flash Plugin) until 128bit versions are released.
    Linux User: 380654
    CIW Certified Internet Web Professional: 435668

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by hessiess View Post
    Adding more and more extensions to the already very old and bloated x86 architecture isn't going to help. Getting away from the Outdated `IBM PC compatible' hardware would be a massive step in the right direction, it still uses a 16 bit BIOS for goodness sake.
    yeah x86 has been around for a very long time... but I guess it's a big step to come up with a new arch and mass market it without some kind of retro-compat (hey look at the windows-to-linux example..)

it would be an important step though. As for 128-bit... why do we need 1gaziolionM of ram? I have 3Gb and I never use more than 800mb (and that's when I watch HD movies or play nexuiz)
    pekWM | archlinux | Dell E5400
    CounterStream Radio

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by el mariachi View Post
    yeah x86 has been around for a very long time... but I guess it's a big step to come up with a new arch and mass market it without some kind of retro-compat (hey look at the windows-to-linux example..)

it would be an important step though. As for 128-bit... why do we need 1gaziolionM of ram? I have 3Gb and I never use more than 800mb (and that's when I watch HD movies or play nexuiz)
    you actualy use a lot more for the OS not just your base programs. Just type "free" on the CL. But yea I agree 3 or 4GB is enough at the moment tho.
    Linux User: 380654
    CIW Certified Internet Web Professional: 435668

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The first anyone has heard of 128-bit x86 CPUs was a week ago when Microsoft started saying something about making Windows 8 for "IA-128".

I'm sure we would have heard about AMD and Intel's plans in this area earlier, if there were actually any plans afoot.

If 128-bit x86 CPUs (or non-x86-compatible, considering that IA-64 is not x86-compatible) come out, Windows will not be the first operating system to support them. I'm sure NetBSD or Linux will support it earlier. And all our software is only a recompile away from being 128-bit compatible too!
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Plus, many game systems (like the Playstation 3) advertise that they use 128 bit systems, where in reality, they use 64-bit processors to work with 128-bit integers, which is a different system entirely. I wouldn't be surprised if this practice continues. For the 2038 problem, yes, that definitely makes a difference in the length of support for 32-bit systems, but even if it becomes a problem by 2018, that seems like a reasonable date to lose support for 32-bit systems. 9 years ago, 16-bit systems were still relatively common (at least my family had one at home that was becoming deprecated rapidly).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pythonscript View Post
    Plus, many game systems (like the Playstation 3) advertise that they use 128 bit systems, where in reality, they use 64-bit processors to work with 128-bit integers, which is a different system entirely.
    Isn't... the PS3 PowerPC arch though?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

yes
    pekWM | archlinux | Dell E5400
    CounterStream Radio

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast