Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nautilus Samba Problem

Beans

Nautilus Samba Problem

I recently upgraded to Karmic and have stumbled across an interesting problem. The computer that shares the printers in the house (runs Windows 7) cannot be accessed by my computer. When double clicking on the computer name in the Nautilus Networking window, I get the "Failed to retrieve share list from server" error. Same if I try and connect via smb://IP. This is a problem since I can't connect to the shared printers because the SMB Browser in the printer connect dialog must be trying to connect the same way because when I click the arrow next to the computer name, nothing happens. Reason I suggest this may be a nautilus problem is because the output of smbtree can see all of the shares on that computer! More over I installed Jaunty in a VM and it can access the root and shares through Nautilus just fine. None of the existing solutions I have searched up have helped. Is anyone else experiencing this/able to offer assistance? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Nautilus Samba Problem

I have had allot of odd issues with Win7. My Win7 box does not appear in my workgroup even with network discovery on. I also had an issue with a print server, it seemed that the print server was the local master and was using non-standard samba ports. I made my linux box the local master and set it up so it wins all the elections. I can navigate to my win7 box with smb:// but no icon is given.
    I dont think this is a nautilus problem, i think you are getting the server list from the local master browser. Check your firewalls and change your local master browser. Also keep in mine there is an election that takes place and you need to wait a little bit for everything to register.

Beans

How come accessing the samba root works fine in Jaunty though?
    (Also on a side note, I have compared smb.conf files from both, they are exactly the same and the smbtree command prints out all of the correct shares in both karmic and jaunty.)
    I seem to receive this error only when attempting to access the samba root in Karmic's Nautilus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

did u try mounting the samba share from the command line?

To view samba shares:
    Code:
    smbclient -L <host>
    Thats the easiest way to tell if the problem is Nautilus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by szale9001 View Post
    I get the "Failed to retrieve share list from server" error.
    This error is almost always related to a firewall problem. The firewall may be interfering on either the Windows side or the Ubuntu side. Please see the 6th link in my sig.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carnagex420x View Post
    did u try mounting the samba share from the command line?

To view samba shares:
    Code:
    smbclient -L <host>
    Thats the easiest way to tell if the problem is Nautilus.
    Interesting, i did the smbclient -L command on karmic and my Jaunty VM. The Karmic computer threw a 'Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED' error where the Jaunty VM listed the shares fine.

I know what you are saying dmizer, but why would it work on the Jaunty VM (the VM runs on my karmic machine) if it was a firewall issue. This is odd though, so I suppose it isn't Nautilus, what then?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

check your samba log to see who won the election. The reason you could get a list from one and not the other would be because one probably is the local master browser and has the server list, while the other is trying to receive it from the LMB and cant throwing you an error.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by szale9001 View Post
    I know what you are saying dmizer, but why would it work on the Jaunty VM (the VM runs on my karmic machine) if it was a firewall issue. This is odd though, so I suppose it isn't Nautilus, what then?
    Because if you're using a bridged network connection, the Jaunty VM doesn't ever go through the Karmic firewall.

To find the cause of your problem in your Karmic machine, you should take a look at the steps in the 6th link in my sig. If none of that stuff works for you, then post back and we'll go from there.

Beans

Ok, i tried the suggestions in your sig dmizer, no go unfortunately. I have tried all of those on separate occasions. More recently after rereading the post I tried disabling ufw alltogether and rebooting, this had no effect. Also if I run sudo iptables -L with ufw enabled, it looks exactly like the disabled firewall output on pastebin.

Carnage, where can I locate those logs, I found a few winbind logs in /var/log/samba but I found those to have no relevance as there was very little in them at it all pertained to winbind cache and such.

If it helps some, smbclient -L CompName produces this output

Code:
    user@computer $: smbclient -L CompName
    Enter user's password: 
    Domain=[COMPNAME] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7600] Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]

Sharename       Type      Comment
    	---------       ----      -------
    Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED
    Domain=[COMPNAME] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7600] Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]

Server               Comment
    	---------            -------

Workgroup            Master
    	---------            -------
    The computer is set with password protected sharing disabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

if you try to access a share on a win7 box you need a password no matter what, I tried, so you might as well turn it on. but as far as your log, in you smb.conf file change log level to 2 and this should give you info on the elections. I missed that this was on a VM on the same box, which makes me think that is your problem. I havent had good luck sharing shares on a guest VM with a bridged network to the host. I think this is because, even though the VM interface has a separate MAC it still interfaces with the host interface and possibly confilcts.
    - I use VMware BTW.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast