Thread: Lack of OFFICIAL FakeRAID Support in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Angry Lack of OFFICIAL FakeRAID Support in Ubuntu

I just made a post to the Ubuntu Brainstorm. I was curious what other people felt about it:

In the Ubuntu Community Documentation there is a FakeRaidHowto that clearly states:

"FakeRAID is not supported by Ubuntu. Trying to install Ubuntu on such a partition could easily result in the loss of all your data."

This is quite the bummer because Windows is fully supported with "on motherboard" software RAIDs (like Nvidia's). It's pretty sad that I can get support for my software RAID from Microsoft, but not from Canonical.

Now I know any serious enthusiast would immediately recommend a true hardware RAID, but what about those of us who can't afford it. Thousands of people are using "on motherboard" software RAIDs with Windows and have no problem AND have total technical support. Why don't we fully support it?

Just curious...

Sincerely,
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Lack of OFFICIAL FakeRAID Support in Ubuntu

How many times have you actually gotten RAID support from Microsoft in the past five years?

Do you think Microsoft will answer any questions you have faster than the Ubuntu forums? That's unfair though. How about if you offer Microsoft an added $1000 bonus if they answer your question quickly: do you think Microsoft will be faster than the Ubuntu forums if you pay extra? Me neither.

So, what exactly are you asking for? Guarantees? Microsoft doesn't sell those either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Lack of OFFICIAL FakeRAID Support in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Giblet5 View Post
    How many times have you actually gotten RAID support from Microsoft in the past five years?

Do you think Microsoft will answer any questions you have faster than the Ubuntu forums? That's unfair though. How about if you offer Microsoft an added $1000 bonus if they answer your question quickly: do you think Microsoft will be faster than the Ubuntu forums if you pay extra? Me neither.

So, what exactly are you asking for? Guarantees? Microsoft doesn't sell those either.
    Although I haven't gotten RAID support from Microsoft in the past 5 years, I did get general support from them in the past. (I was working in IT.) All I'm saying is that on Microsoft's web site there isn't a big warning saying "Motherboard based RAID is not supported by Windows and its use may result in loss of data" like our web site says. It's pretty sad that a software raid controller built into my motherboard is not supported officially by Ubuntu but is by Microsoft.