Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adding user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

adding user

running 10.10 - I have added (obvious not correctly) a new user to my brother-in-laws dual boot PC which I'm doing remotely. The existing user is tony and the new user is dom. It appears the grub screen (actually not grub - I'm using burg) offers Ubuntu or Windows which is what I expected. When the pc is left to time out to the Ubuntu option the pc boots to the original user tony. I was expecting a screen that would show both user icons with the choice to choose. Any advice would be appreciated - I have set the new user dom up via the gui, System/Admin/Users & Groups.

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: newbie help pls - additional user

Hi Quarkrad,

In Users and Groups make it ask for password at login for all users (also for tony)!

Have fun finding out
    Olle
    Last edited by WasMeHere; November 12th, 2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: emphasis

Beans
    Distro

Thanks - a bit closer. In system/admin/users & groups the original user tony had an Account Type of custom. I changed this to Admin (both tony and dom are now Admin) and when in tony desktop I can log out - be presented with the expected window giving a choice of tony or dom and log into dom. Great. The only issue is that on reboot the pc goes straight into tony - there is no choice. Can both users be set as Administrator?

Beans

My advice is 'In Users and Groups make it ask for password at login for all users (also for tony)!'

Your problem is the opposite of the following thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1875876

Maybe you can pick up some idea from there

Beans
    Distro

Re: adding user

Ah... what is happening to my beloved Ubuntu? Surely having more than one user is not too much? I did what you say but still not joy. I deleted dom via the gui and tried again using terminal commands. sudo useradd -c dom -m -s /bin/bash dom and it did install dom. I went to system/adim/users & groups and there he was. But on reboot I still go straight into tony.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    Perhaps have a look in the conf file and edit it manually if necessary.

cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

I did it manually in xubuntu and added

autologin-user=hobgoblin
    autologin-user-timeout=0

to the file. Looks to be the same file. I also got rid of the guest while I was at it ...

allow-guest=false

Edit - trying it out in vbox - changing it via the GUI appears to add the autologin-user=hobgoblin line but not the timeout.
    Did you try to reverse the above from the thread I suggested? Edit the file as superuser!
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    Last edited by WasMeHere; November 12th, 2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: reverse

Beans
    Distro

Sorry - no I didn't do that part. I've opened up lightdm.cong and it's an empty file. Should I add and save the following?

autologin-user=tony
    autologin-user=dom
    autologin-user-timeout=10

would this give me the option screen for 10 secs? Something somewhere must be telling Ubuntu that either tony is the default user or to ignore dom.

Beans

I had expected that file to contain at least
    autologin-user=tony
    so now I don't know, but try what you suggested

After that you can look for that 'slider' to toggle automatic login in the GUI for Users and Groups.

Beans
    Distro

This is odd to me (newbie!). when I sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf I get a blank window/empty file. I enter the commands e.g. autologin...=tony etc and then press Ctrl X followed by Y to save the file. Then I'm told [error writing /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf: No such file or directory ]. I had a look via gksuo nautilus (could I edit the file there?) and there is no folder called lightdm in /etc/

Beans
    Distro

I've just added a new user in Ubuntu 11.10 (using virtualbox in my PC) and the same thing. You can log in an out once you are in but rebooting always goes to the first account setup. Surely this is not right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast