Thread: CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE environment variables not set when installing Tomcat6

Beans

Question CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE environment variables not set when installing Tomcat6

Hello,

I've encountered a little problem when I've installed Tomcat6 on my Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop Edition.
    I followed the exact steps described here, in the official Server Guide:
    > sudo apt-get install tomcat6 tomcat6-admin tomcat6-common tomcat6-examples tomcat6-docs
    The problem is that CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE environment variables are not set.

Everything else works fine, but how can I manually set them?
    I've noticed that when I go to localhost on the Tomcat configured port (default -> localhost:8080) in the "It works!" page it says:

"Tomcat6 veterans might be pleased to learn that this system instance of Tomcat is installed with CATALINA_HOME in /usr/share/tomcat6 and CATALINA_BASE in /var/lib/tomcat6, following the rules from /usr/share/doc/tomcat6-common/RUNNING.txt.gz."

But, if I consider this, then I should find in $CATALINA_HOME/conf the configuration files but there is no "conf" folder in /usr/share/tomcat6. There are only "bin", "lib", "skel", and "webapps". Also, where should I find the logs that should be found at $CATALINA_HOME/logs? Same wonderings about CATALINA_OPTS...

Please, If you have any idea that might help me, do share it with me.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by bogdan_mbe; October 18th, 2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: I forgot a little detail.