Thread: heat warning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

heat warning

Hi all,

In my old thinkpad (running windows) there was some kind of failsafe, if the computer would reach a certain temperature it would shut down. As my eee got really hot (too warm to touch) I was wondering whether this is linked to the hardware or the OS (or something else?)

Cheers

Beans

Re: heat warning

Related thread for Toshiba users: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1282161

Apparently this problem is showing up on multiple models and distros. The current theory is that it's a kernel bug, only present after version 2.6.28-xx; it's been suggested this is a problem with ACPI, BIOS, the graphics card, and numerous other possible sources, but no one's been able to pin it down. And there may or may not be a report filed for this; it's near impossible to tell.

I think it would help everyone if we kept the discussion of the issue on a single regularly updated thread, such as this one, instead of re-posting the same information on multiple threads where hardly anyone can find it. This problem affects everyone; it should involve everyone.
    Model: Toshiba Satellite M505D laptop
    System: Windows 7/planned install Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic
    (Updated 9 Jan 2010)