Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing icons

Beans

Changing icons

Hello all,

I recently downloaded a icon pack (not a theme) that I want to use. I've scoured the forums for information, but haven't had much luck. It may be simple, but I've tried everything I can to find it on my own. Please help if you can. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm using 12.10 64bit if that helps at all.
    Last edited by Malo Kingi; March 13th, 2013 at 05:24 AM.

Beans

Re: Changing icons

What are you trying to do with them exactly?

Beans

I'm just trying to change the default unity icons, nothing special.

Beans

So you are theming Unity dash? The Unity Dash icons are stored on the Unity Folder in /usr/share/unity

Beans

I'm not sure if i'm theming unity dash or not. I'm just trying to figure out how to use the icons in the pack I have vs. the default unity icons.

Beans

Can you post a link to the icon pack? That way I can tell for sure what they can be used for.

Beans

Beans

Oh, that is easy. in your home folder, click both ctrl+h at the same time to show all files. Then create a folder called .icons, if the folder is already there, just copy the download icon package .tar.gz into the folder and extract it there. Now you need a tweak tool to change the theme. Ubuntu by default dosen't have a real tweak tool. So you have to install something like ubuntu-tweak or gnome-tweak-tool.

Ubuntu-Tweak is the best, but can be dangerous is used improperly. In terminal, put "sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:tualatrix/ppa" then "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak" Now hit the windows key and type ubuntu-tweak and click the icon. Navigate to tweaks section, then click the themes icon. There you can change the icons.

Beans

Ugh...I'm an idiot, because the one i downloaded WAS a theme. And it's for gnome, so I'm not even sure it will work for unity...sorry about that.

Edit: just saw your reply, going to try it right now, thanks!!!

Beans

Unity technically is gnome, but with a different interface. No need to worry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast