Thread: tty help

Beans

tty help

Hello, Recently, I noticed that ttys 1 through 6 are completely inaccessible to me. When ever I try to enter them, it results in the display immediately going to sleep. I did recently connect another computer through the VGA slot, and the machine running Kubuntu (the one I'm running on right now) connects through a DVI slot, for a total of two computers. If it helps, I'm talking about the local ttys-the ones you can access by pressing ctrl-alt-f(whatever number). I used these a lot for when I wanted several commands running in their own distinct environment, or when an application freezes, and it's a little annoying not having access to them anymore. I would gladly appreciate any help anyone can offer me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: tty help

Hi EmeraldBot.

Are you using more than one monitor? Console ttys are able to run only in the primary (main) monitor, the other monitors will go blank (or sleep, as you described it).

Does your graphic card has more than one output? Like another DVI or VGA? Try switching your monitor to the other one, and try the getting to the ttys there.

Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm using only one monitor currently, and sharing it between the two computers. As for the graphics card, it does have another DVI slot, so I will try switching it. I'll post back what changed, if anything.

Beans

Well, I switched the DVI cable to the other slot. Unfortunately, that did not change anything-I still have the tty problem.
    Last edited by EmeraldBot; March 13th, 2013 at 09:21 PM.