Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Linux Isn't the Most Popular Operating System

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why Linux Isn't the Most Popular Operating System

Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    It's true. I know a bunch of Linux users in real life and they're all involved in IT either through work or school.
    Funnily enough, I know two people who use Linux in real life, and neither of them has anything to do with computers.

Beans

Its not good enough. Also there is no Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop or anything thats near as good as the applications people want on Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

But what's "good enough"? Is it good enough if it has a functional desktop (check), multimedia capabilities (check), and internet connectivity (check)? Or are you talking about the less than ideal 3D experience - thanks to binary blobs and lack of support from various hardware vendors?

I'll dare guesstimate that most (or many?) people who think Photoshop and Office are the best haven't tried much else.

Here's why I think Linux isn't as popular as it could be:

1) External factors: Microsoft, Adobe, and the other big offenders. These companies have a habit of putting out closed-sourced software with little or no support on platforms they don't like. And then they go and patent things to prevent compatible clones from emerging. With such a hostile gang of big corps giving Linux (and other FOSS efforts) a hard time, the end result is not too surprising.

Oh and there's the hardware vendors that either release binary blobs only (hey Nvidia!) or don't even bother to make drivers for anything but Windows.

Linux has been responding to these with a 'best effort' solution and it's done quite well but there's only so much the devs can do in a situation like this.

2) Internal factors: Lack of compatibility and disorganization, particularly a Linux-centric problem. Currently there is no way to make one binary and have it work across different releases of one distro, much less across different distributions. There's a band-aid fix in the form of package managers and they help but the basic issue still stands. If you're a developer you must roll out a separate package for every distro you want to support. If you are a user, you must hunt down the build for your distro and hope one exists in the first place. Linux needs a common standard for executables and such. Even with DLL hell Windows is ahead here.

I probably missed something but this should be enough for a start.

Beans
    Distro

Just had another though - branding (I'm looking at you, gimp ).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Guy View Post
    In a nutshell: There are too many variations, and although Linux has very good package management systems, it isn't enough.
    There is only ONE Windows....Different levels of windows, but that is artificially crippled based on what you pay for.

I live variety. It creates a bit of competition and makes for a better overall product (talking about actively developed distributions)

It isn't popular because there isn't millions of dollars in advertising available otherwise, Linux would be a consideration for the average user..

IBM has advertisements, but I haven't seen them except for on youtube.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=ibm%20linux&oe=utf-8&rls=com.ubuntu:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=vid:1&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv

I specifically like this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwEWxpOWOok

and this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JqtMgiUaf4
    Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think you have a valid point.

If a third-party software company wanted to support Linux, they would have to create .rpm's for Fedora and SuSE, and .deb's for Ubuntu and Debian. And maybe even others.

In addition, they would have to test it on all distributions they packaged for. Most don't have the resource to do so. What ends up happening is the app performs poorly (or sub-par) on Linux.

Take Google's Picassa for Linux, for example. It is simply the Windows version bundled with Wine!

By being so spread out, we have made it difficult for these company to support Linux the way they do Windows and Mac OSX.

Maybe it is about time we had one Linux distro? I really don't care if it ends up being Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, or whatever. Because if we all synchronized our efforts together, I am sure that that distribution would be the best.

Beans

Love the new Ubuntu
    Most popular, well...

I think it is still geeky, which I enjoy messing about with that stuff
    but , no way would I allow my non tech family members to use it, unless I disconnected the phone, and didn't check my emails

Its lovely, and great, but technical

Ubuntu 10.04 is much easier to use. May never go back to windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Odd-rationale View Post
    I think you have a valid point.

If a third-party software company wanted to support Linux, they would have to create .rpm's for Fedora and SuSE, and .deb's for Ubuntu and Debian. And maybe even others.

In addition, they would have to test it on all distributions they packaged for. Most don't have the resource to do so. What ends up happening is the app performs poorly (or sub-par) on Linux.

Take Google's Picassa for Linux, for example. It is simply the Windows version bundled with Wine!

By being so spread out, we have made it difficult for these company to support Linux the way they do Windows and Mac OSX.

Maybe it is about time we had one Linux distro? I really don't care if it ends up being Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, or whatever. Because if we all synchronized our efforts together, I am sure that that distribution would be the best.
    I think that Ubuntu should support (and that would be, supporting it "Out of the box") all Linux software distribution methods....It would make Ubuntu THE distribution to use.
    Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    Its not good enough. Also there is no Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop or anything thats near as good as the applications people want on Linux.
    Not everyone can use Linux as their main OS, but there are more people who could use Linux for all they do than who actually do use Linux.

Application support is not the only issue or even the main one.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Guy View Post
    In a nutshell: There are too many variations, and although Linux has very good package management systems, it isn't enough.

Okay, first off I would like to say how much I love Linux - it opened up a whole new world in computing for me (BIOS, partitions, filesystems, and a whole lot more). However we all know it is not the most popular operating system - but exactly why isn't it? I believe it has quite a few main problems, mostly relating to incompatibility with itself:
    • There are multiple installer package types (.deb, .rpm, .tgz, etc) - this means that packages are not very compatible between distributions.
    • Programs handle stuff they shouldn't (Gnome handles the background, Gedit handles syntax highlighting, Firefox handles it's icons, etc) - this makes would-be-simple tasks such as setting the background or changing syntax coloring hell for programmers, and therefore such programs tend not to be very compatible between desktop environments.
    • Settings are spread across different systems (/etc/default, gconf, etc)
    • Branding: Ubuntu (most people I've talked to think it sounds weird), the Gimp (is this a joke?), and more

I admit that one of the main reasons why Linux is not very popular is because of Windows' monopoly, but it is partly because Windows is better for the average user. What does everyone else think?
    You are absolutely correct. However, I don't really mind that GNU/Linux is a niche OS and that each distro is a niche-within-a-niche.
    I don't feel the need to advertise it, nor do I think that anyone is really missing out on anything by choosing another system.
    It's just an OS.
    ..and the writing's on the wall,
    but the walls have all come down,
    if you can't see past the truth,
    I love to let you down..

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast