Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing Volume Control Icon

Beans

Missing Volume Control Icon

Hi Everyone,
    I've just installed Ubuntu 9.10 and noticed there is no volume control icon in the task bar. Does anyone know how to add this icon?
    Thanks,
    Gary

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Missing Volume Control Icon

Right click on the panel where you want it and choose to add Volume Control. It normally is on the top panel, not the bottom task bar, but put it, and everything else, wherever you want it. I run gnome, but only have one panel with the gnome main menu instead of menubar, to save screen area.

Beans

Hi ajgreeny,
    Thanks for the quick reply, but that option dosen't appear to exist. No matter where I left click on the panel ( I only have one panel as well,) my only options are "add to panel", "properties", and "new panel". No option for volume control anywhere. Am I blind?
    Thanks,
    Gary

Beans

Hi ajgreeny,
    In my last post I meant to say "right click."
    Cheers,
    Gary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by gwvenus View Post
    Hi ajgreeny,
    Thanks for the quick reply, but that option dosen't appear to exist. No matter where I left click on the panel ( I only have one panel as well,) my only options are "add to panel", "properties", and "new panel". No option for volume control anywhere. Am I blind?
    Thanks,
    Gary
    Select "add to panel" and it will give you a list of things that you can add to the panel. The "volume control" should be in that list.

Beans

Select "add to panel" and it will give you a list of things that you can add to the panel. The "volume control" should be in that list.
    You should add "Notification Area". If you still have no volume icon, check to make sure that the gnome-volume-control-applet is running. This is usually set to startup automatically when you login.

Beans

Hi sal_m,
    You were right on the money! Thank you very much. I now have a speaker icon, but I also have two other icons I don't need. There is no right click "remove from panel". Do you know how I can remove the other two icons and just keep the speaker icon?
    Thank You,
    Gary

Beans

The 'Notification area' seems to be a lot like the Windoze 'tray'. The other icons, for instance, you probably have a networking icon of some variety along with a couple others, are, most likely, other running programs that fit into the notification area. I'm not sure you -can- remove them without removing the entire notification area, and thusly, your volume control.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thank you! Notification Area did the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by sal_m View Post
    You should add "Notification Area". If you still have no volume icon, check to make sure that the gnome-volume-control-applet is running. This is usually set to startup automatically when you login.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sal_m View Post

Thanks a lot! "Notification Area" solved it. I was pulling my hair because I accidentally deleted the volume icon, because it was showing two icons!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast