Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experiencing Trouble With My Office Unit

Beans

Experiencing Trouble With My Office Unit

Hi All!

I'm having some trouble with my office unit as it keeps bogging down now and exhibits the behavior of typing the letter "n" whenever the resources are maxed out for some reason.

I'm actually typing this up on a borrowed notebook running XP and using Chrome. It's actually not a bad experience to tell you frankly. Well I reckon it helps that this unit has way higher specs than my official issue unit.

In any case, I'm backing up the user data (files, pictures, videos, fonts, etc.) on one DVD and the .evolution folder in another DVD. I'm planning a fresh install from my installer disc to hopefully solve the problems and return it to it's normal running state.

I'm actually requisitioning for a new office unit as mine is old and has no working battery. If I'm lucky, I will get a brand spanking new unit, if not, then at least I may get this unit that I'm using now to type this while waiting for my DVD to burn.

This unit, an Acer TravelMate, runs a centrino duo with an nvidia geforece go 7300 with a built in camera to boot. (my old unit did not have a camera) I will try running Ubuntu from the disc using this unit to check compatibility after I write this.

If you have any advice, tips, etc. with regards to my old unit, I'd really like to know as I will probably commence the reinstall tomorrow. I will find out if I get a new unit some time Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Thanks.

Hope to hear from y'all soon.

Best regards!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Experiencing Trouble With My Office Unit

Try to install Xubuntu, its uses xfce. Its lightweight and ideal for older systems.

Beans

Re: Experiencing Trouble With My Office Unit

I actually had the unit changed out. Even when they tried to reinstall windows on it they were having problems. I guess it's a hardware thing already.

In any case, I was issued a "new" notebook for office use, it's an Acer TravelMate 3273WXMi. While it has a 120GB hard drive, they do not have the original installation discs and only load the system from a recovery disc which pre-partitions the unit.

My original plan was to equally divide the HD into 60GB each, 60 GB for XP and 60 GB for Ubuntu but since the discs pre-partitions the drive, I may have to dual boot. If this is the case, how do I go about it? Is there a way to designate the home folder to a different drive still?

My other option is to go full Ubuntu on it but I'll loose the other XP stuff that I may need.

In any case, I'll try going full Ubuntu again, if I encounter some problems, I will just have to go the dual boot route as XP runs decently on this system anyways. I will, of course, use Ubuntu as my default OS.

Beans

Hi All!

I'm now typing this from my "new" office notebook finally running on Ubuntu Jaunty.

It's definitely faster and better to use. I did notice a few things:

1. Pidgin doesn't display the avatars of my contacts anymore.
    2. Although my "new" unit has a camera, it doesn't work for some reason. Anyway I can get it to work?
    3. My graphics card is now an nVidia GeForce GO 7300. The unit is complaining that there are no compatible drivers or something like that for it though I can see things just fine, if not better than my last unit.

Can anyone help me with the issues I noticed? I'm still in the process of installing other stuff and have to do a restart for other programs I just installed. Hopefully I can have this unit up and running fully by tomorrow.

Hope to hear from y'all again soon.

Best regards!

Beans

Hi All!

Just an update.

With regards to Pidgin, I reckon I need to upgrade to the next version so since Karmic is just around the corner, I may just wait a while longer. The important thing is that it works!

Apparently, I'm not alone with the "built-in webcam not working" syndrome as other users using other brands have encountered this issue as well. It's no biggie really. I just thought that since the hardware is there, might as well make the most of it.

As for nVidia, apparently trying to find the right version to install then installing it is a royal pain in the ****. This being the case, since I can see what's on my screen, it should be good enough for me.

I still cannot use my compiz effects but I reckon that has something to do with nVidia more than anything else. Bummer.

Also, I can't seem to get Farmville in Facebook to work now Can anyone help me out with this one? Should I upgrade Firefox now as well or should I be patient in the hopes that Karmic will solve things?

If symptoms persist, I may just go dual boot with this unit to get the "best of both worlds." But I'd rather stay true blue Ubuntu though. *SIGH*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just use the add/remove in the applications. then find and install the following (use the search tab there):

These ones are required to be installed:

java system runtime (for uploading pictures in facebook) keyword:java =5 stars
    adobe flash plugin (for running flash in webpages)keyword:flash =five stars
    ubuntu restricted plugins (for playing mp3 and all sorts of files)keyword:ubuntu =1 star

also search nvidia in the add/remove software there, then select the driver pack you need based on the model of your nvidia card (mine use package 96, since I use Nvidia MX440 SE) read the description so you may find your card model there. This is mainly to improve your graphics. If I'm correct there are 6 or 7 packages of NVidia drivers there. Keyword is Nvidia.

hope I have helped you there. Galingan mo pare!
    Last edited by jaceleon; October 20th, 2009 at 06:50 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the advice jaceleon.

That definitely helped.

I actually wound up reinstalling Ubuntu since a botched Open Office upgrade left me with a permanent command prompt with no graphics.

I installed all the things you mentioned and it seemed to help.

Also, the unit downloaded the video card drivers itself when I went through the "Appearance" application. So it also solved a lot of issues and got my compiz working.

This being the case, there doesn't seem to be a need to dual boot anymore, WOO HOO!

Now if I can only figure out how to make the webcam work, I'm golden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For your webcam, I mean, you can't record video in the way I know, but at least you could try to install CHEESE in it to take some camera shots with edited animations as frames.

search it in add/remove: webcam or cheese

another hint for you to enjoy your computer to its extreme!
    Curiosity is a trait we always have, that's why the wh- questions exist.
    Ubuntu User #29235

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by randytan View Post
    Now if I can only figure out how to make the webcam work, I'm golden!
    What apps have you tried running to test your webcam?
    I am a Man of Truth. I am a Free Human Person. I am a Peacemaker.
    ** Independent Multimedia Artist in Pasig **

Beans

Let's see...

Tried Skype, Cheese, and webcam.

None of them can even detect the camera. So as of now, it is just on there staring blankly at me...

Really weird.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast