Thread: Deabian vs non Deabian

Beans

Deabian vs non Deabian

so i hear all this talk about Deabian and non deabian systems... i was wondering if anyone has a list of witch versions are debian and witch version are not. and what is the difference anyway?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Deabian vs non Deabian

Quote Originally Posted by Niko Johnson View Post
    and what is the difference anyway?
    Same as the difference between most distros: package management.

There are two main types of packages in Linuxland: Debian style .debs, and Red Hat style .rpms. There are also some odd fish like Gentoo, but Debian/Red Hat accounts for most of what's out there.

List of Debian-based distros
    List of RPM-based distros

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

so i hear all this talk about Deabian and non deabian systems... i was wondering if anyone has a list of witch versions are debian and witch version are not. and what is the difference anyway?
    Well, Debian systems are those based of the Debian distro (http://www.debian.org) and include any distros that use .deb packages and aptitude (a.k.a apt-get) as their package manager. Some examples are Ubuntu, Mint (based off Ubuntu) and Knoppix.

Non-Debian systems are anything else, but the biggest category is Red Hat based distros. These are any distros that use .rpm packages. Examples include Red Hat Enterprise Linux (of course), CentOS (rebranded Red Hat) and Fedora (community Red Hat).

The rest are usually distro-specific. Gentoo has portage, Arch has pacman, some distros don't even have a package manager (you have to compile from source or install compiled binaries).
    Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K [4.7GHz]; ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z; AMD Radeon HD 6870; 16GB Geil DDR3-1600; OCz Vertex 2 128GB SSD; Lian Li PC-V351B; Corsair H100 cooler; Corsair TX650W; 3x BenQ G2222HDL + 1x Acer x93w; Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

Beans

Beans

cool thanks for clearing that up for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You can have your answer when you add a spell check to your Firefox add-ons