Thread: ubuntu compatible ??

Beans
    Hidden!

ubuntu compatible ??

As a recent user of ubuntu, I wonder are computers themselves designed and built with
    windows in mind? An example of what i mean, I have installed ubuntu on two machines
    and on both some of the functions relative to the computer are gone, ie; acer empowering technology, lenovo toolbox. I understand that these aspects would be
    installed on the hhd at the factory and are readable only on a windows format, plus in
    the case of a dual boot, ubuntu does not have access to that partition.However in my case
    on one computer i have a new hard drive, ubuntu is and has always been the only OS
    yet there is very little to suggest that the computer recognizes ubuntu and vice versa.
    It works so , i am not greatly concerned, more of a curiousity.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ubuntu compatible ??

I have no idea exactly what those two utilities are, but I imagine they are the usual windows applications (aka bloatware) added to the MS operating system by the OEMs, most of which in my experience of years ago buying a windows computer were never ever used.

Each computer manufacturer seems to have their own list of added items which they believe are invaluable and often take up not only disk space, but often resources as they keep looking for updates every time you boot up.

There used to be some people who, in the days when a Windows CD/DVD came with a machine, would reinstall windows without all the added bloatware and trials of this and that which you didn't need nor want. Thank goodness we don't have that problem with Ubuntu or any other Linux distro.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I have no idea exactly what those two utilities are, but I imagine they are the usual windows applications (aka bloatware) added to the MS operating system by the OEMs, most of which in my experience of years ago buying a windows computer were never ever used.

Each computer manufacturer seems to have their own list of added items which they believe are invaluable and often take up not only disk space, but often resources as they keep looking for updates every time you boot up.
    I second that. Those utilities don't perform anything vital, for example this Acer Empowering Technology is a "Suit" of other apps that perform actions that Windows can do by itself, for example Acer ePower -> Performance Profiles (Click the battery icon). Almost EVERYTHING an OEM adds to a PC is bloatware. All of those apps perform functions which Windows (And Linux too) can perform by themselves.

But to answer your main question, yes, most OEM computers are designed for Windows. The only exceptions being computers being designed for Linux (Not a lot of those).
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you for the reply. I now know what bloatware is.
    I like the quote from linus Torvalds, I have been reading about him recently, he certainly
    has my respect for his computer genius.