This is not a complain is a recommendation about how to install, ***POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS, ONLY EXPERTS USERS***
* Yes, i know that this is a beta release, but I can't wait to try...
** sorry about my bad english (please be gentle)...

I was having troubles while trying to install Karmic koala in a biostar p4m80 v1 motherboard 512 MB of ram - 16 Mb shared with via igp, I try various Installing methods with the normal installation cd; and also try with kubuntu, kubuntu-netbook, ubuntu-netbook remix, (sorry guys, but i didn't try the alternate install for any release); I try with cd-rom install, installing from windows, install from usb, install from iso, but I always have troubles with the video, only plays on 640 x 480 and 640x400, and the wubi installer locks on all this!, as important notice, seems to be that there is no consoles by pressing Alt plus Fx. But I am pretty sure you notice that.

The method that I use to install here was is try the installation within Windows xp pro using virtual box and using a secondary hard drive into the virtual machine, running from a command prompt in the virtual box path the following command (do not attempt to boot the partition with the currently running host operating system in a guest. This will lead to severe data corruption, so try this with a secondary hard drive as I do):

Code:
"vboxmanage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename c:\RawHDD.vmdk -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive1"
where \\.\PhysicalDrive0 is almost always the hard drive containing your windows installation,physical drive can be changed for \\.\PhysicalDrive1 if you had as secondary hard drive or a third drive as \\.\PhysicalDrive2, and selecting the hard drive from c:\RawHDD.vmdk, and run your virtual machine from the ubuntu flavors iso image...

I was able to complete the installation sucessfully, and then copy a old xorg.conf to /etc/X11/... where there was no xorg.conf file

the think here is that in the xorg.conf I had to include the driver and the video ram amount (change it to fit your values), in order to had 1024x768 resolution, due to a bug in the openchrome xorg driver in which don't detect the video memory automatically:
Code:
Driver		"openchrome"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
	Option 		"VideoRAM"  "16384"
*** sorry guys but no desktop effects only resolution was fixed, but I can run glxgears without troubles ***
then close the virtual machine, and restart the computer by selecting the secondary hard drive as booting device pressing f9 at boot.

As a final note I am running karmic koala now in this computer, and I recommend to change the depressing colors from default ubuntu desktop to another theme less depressing, I will wait for your comments