Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dreamweaver alternative?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Dreamweaver alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by hessiess View Post
    Learn HTML, CSS and use a text editor. Visual editors output awful HTML and are incapable of doing a lot of things you cn do with raw code.

The best web pages are dynamic and adapt to the browser, the wysiwyg model is incapable of working like this.
    A friend asked me to build her a small-business website which will use forms, PHP, and MySQL. The PHP and MySQL are no problem, but I wonder just how far I can go with coding the raw HTML into gedit. Isn't something like Dreamweaver required to do anything other than a very simple website? I know nothing about WYSIWYG tools, and I'm wondering if I should start learning. How far can one go with just coding the raw HTML and CSS?
    Last edited by donsy; July 17th, 2010 at 03:04 PM.

Beans

This thread is a little stale.

Quote Originally Posted by donsy View Post
    A friend asked me to build her a small-business website which will use forms, PHP, and MySQL. The PHP and MySQL are no problem, but I wonder just how far I can go with coding the raw HTML into gedit. Isn't something like Dreamweaver required to do anything other than a very simple website?
    Nonsense. With careful design it is possible to make great-looking websites with minimal HTML and CSS. The key is "design". You're not just throwing together a wad of HTML whenever a new page is needed; you need to design your base code to be extensible in-place and your new code to extend and reuse the old code. This was not true in the pre-CSS days of table-based layout, when it really was necessary to use Dreamweaver or a similar tool if you wanted anything decent-looking (and Heaven help you if you tried to make a minor edit in any other tool).

I know nothing about WYSIWYG tools, and I'm wondering if I should start learning. How far can one go with just coding the raw HTML and CSS?
    What do you mean, "raw HTML"? You're using PHP, right? Which means (most of) your pages are going to be generated on the fly. You don't have to write static HTML pages for everything you put out there. Use templates to eliminate redundancy so your files don't all start with <!DOCTYPE ...><html><head>blah blah blah</head><body>, which means that if you ever change the entire site you have to change every single file. Code with your brain, not your fingers.
    Last edited by trent.josephsen; July 17th, 2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: clarification

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    What do you mean, "raw HTML"? You're using PHP, right? Which means (most of) your pages are going to be generated on the fly. You don't have to write static HTML pages for everything you put out there.
    Well I was planning on using PHP mainly for editing and cleaning the data and generating the proper SQL to insert it into the database, not necessarily for generating HTML on the fly. For that I would prefer to have as much statically coded HTML as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    Use templates to eliminate redundancy so your files don't all start with <!DOCTYPE ...><html><head>blah blah blah</head><body>, which means that if you ever change the entire site you have to change every single file.
    Can you elaborate a little more on this or provide a link?
    Last edited by donsy; July 17th, 2010 at 06:13 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by donsy View Post
    Well I was planning on using PHP mainly for editing and cleaning the data and generating the proper SQL to insert it into the database, not necessarily for generating HTML on the fly. For that I would prefer to have as much statically coded HTML as possible.
    Why? I mean, for a site with only 2-3 pages and no dynamic content, it might make sense, but static HTML becomes unmaintainable very, very quickly.

Can you elaborate a little more on this or provide a link?
    Erm, it won't work with static HTML (hence the term "static"). My experience is with Python/Django and Perl/HTML::Template; no PHP knowledge whatsoever. You might look into SSI (Server Side Includes) if you're truly opposed to dynamically generated HTML.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12