Thread: unable to boot macbookpro5-3 ubuntu 9.04

Beans

unable to boot macbookpro5-3 ubuntu 9.04

Hello,

this is the first time I'm installing ubuntu on a macbookpro but it seems that I'm unable to boot after install

I'm installing ubuntu 9.04 (64bits) on a macbookpro 5-3. Efi is up to date

I have succeded in repartitioning, installing rEFIt and installing ubuntu from the live cd. I have install grub in /dev/sda3 (my ubuntu partition)

Then rebooted (btw the laptop doesn't reboot, I have to reboot it by hand but it seems to be normal)

Then in rEFIt resynchronised partition (it actually said they were already sync and did nothing. I shutdown the machine and boot it under os x fine

When I try to boot it under ubuntu, after selection linux in REFIt, I see a tux for a fraction of second then my screen flashes white a couple of times then nothing happens. I have to switch it off manually then back on.

does anybody has any idea of how I can debug this ?

Thanks for your help

Beans

Re: unable to boot macbookpro5-3 ubuntu 9.04

Hi Skycode,

Have you tried running the live cd and see if that boots up properly? Also if that boots up properly, may be you can head over to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see the contents of that file. I am no expert, but this is what I did, when I had a minor problem with my graphics. Another option might be to boot into the console mode and then do a "sudo startx" and looking for the error messages if any that appear.

Like I said, I am no expert, but this seems like a nice way to start debugging the problem.

HTH

buntybuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Two things to try

1. Try booting to recovery mode, if you get to a console, run sudo gdm start and report back any errors
    2. In a normal boot, after getting to the blank screen press fn+ctrl+alt+f7 or ctrl+alt+f7 and repeat with f2

Good luck
    linux, linux, linux

Beans

Thanks all for your help,

Problem is that I never get to see the bootloader, the scrren just goes black when I choose linux in refit .... So no chance to be able to select recovery boot mode. However booting from the cd works fine (I actully installed ubuntu that way) .

thanks