Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Errors,.. Log Files.. what do they mean .. ??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Errors,.. Log Files.. what do they mean .. ??

Hello everyone ..
    The following are absolutely a newbie questions.

im new to this Linux/Ubuntu world (3 weeks or so) and in this time i've been trying to install/compile/modify several applications or files..from Desktop Themes to applications like conky passing through USB modem configuration. Since im new to this, its not an extrange thing that i made some mistakes.. but this i think is a very good way to lear about Linux.

The problem is that in some cases, i made my ladtop crash a lot and it has stoped me to keep learning couse im affraid to damage this Ubuntu instalation and some how lost all my data.. and here the very frist question:

1) Is there a real danger of loosing all my data some how? im using a personal folder on my desktop to manage all my files. (work & personal). What operations/acctions should i consider as forbiden in linux so i wont face that risk ?

2) in some crashes, my machine goes directly to reboot so i can not see what errors are.. (i was trying to complile the "conky" app on 8.04 and it was a mess....) is there any log where i can see what went wrong? .. also in some of those crashes and on reboot, it shows some errors but they dont appear for long .. (looks like windows error when having files corrupted.. )

3) i've looked . on the log file viewer but it has little information for me to pull of since i dont know where to lookup to .. if someone could redirectme to the propper information link or explain it to me.. would be most appreciated.

Thank you all in advance..
    Regards.
    im new to this...(but i am a fast learner) so please bare for me a while.
    =============
    My Newbie Threads ...please help me to learn:
    Conky Compiling 8.04 | Waiting for 9.10 | Errors & Log Files|

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Errors,.. Log Files.. what do they mean .. ??

There's always a possibility of data loss; keeping good backups is always a must, in my opinion.

Why are you compiling programs? Much easier to install them from the repositories. See https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/add-app...s/C/index.html and http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    There's always a possibility of data loss; keeping good backups is always a must, in my opinion.

Why are you compiling programs? Much easier to install them from the repositories. See https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/add-app...s/C/index.html and http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware
    yup .. i know it easier but some applications or versions are not "packageged" for my version ie 8.04 .. that was the case of conky .. but the main reason is ... i wanted to doit

Thank you for your post !
    Regards.
    =============

Beans
    Distro

what about Log Files ?? could anyone give me a clue on what to search in where.. ?
    TIA
    =============

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizzer View Post
    yup .. i know it easier but some applications or versions are not "packageged" for my version ie 8.04 .. that was the case of conky ...
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/conky

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    Yes ive got to this page...but i wanted to use conky 1.7.2 and that version is for conky 1.5.1..

Regards..
    =============

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizzer View Post
    Yes ive got to this page...but i wanted to use conky 1.7.2 and that version is for conky 1.5.1..
    Unless you are very experienced with Linux I suggest that this is really not a good idea!

If you want your system to be stable and reliable then stick to the version appropriate for the OS. If you start trying to install later versions of software you may well end up in "dependency hell" and break your system.

Similarly, if you install compiled software, rather than deb packages, you will lose the automatic update capability that helps make Ubuntu so wonderful.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    Unless you are very experienced with Linux I suggest that this is really not a good idea!

If you want your system to be stable and reliable then stick to the version appropriate for the OS. If you start trying to install later versions of software you may well end up in "dependency hell" and break your system.

Similarly, if you install compiled software, rather than deb packages, you will lose the automatic update capability that helps make Ubuntu so wonderful.
    i see your point... but ...if i take all the necessary precautions and back up all my work and and applications that i need.. and i still wanted to install some applications, the question is.. where do i look for the errors...

some times, doing some of the things that ive learned here (Forums) .. Ubuntu crashes and bloks..or simply reboots (unclean reboot) .. but i don't know what went wrong .. if i follow your advise.. i feel ..(please lets discuss if i am right in this statement ) that im not gonna learn anything at all..

thats the main reason for this thread, where, what & how to read the errors form systems log. Take in consideration that im completly new to this linux environment, although i had some experienciene with Unix in the past and ive been workking in SW development on Lotus Domino for 6 years now.. ie .. it is not like i was my mother traying to learn about linux when all she knows is how to turn on a computer..

hope you see my point here .. looking forward for your responce..
    kind regards..
    =============

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Kaizzer: My PC never "...crashes and bloks..or simply reboots (unclean reboot)..." - but I stick to the right apps for the OS and do not compile my own software.

However, you do what you like - it's your PC!

As far as logs are concerned, you will find them all in /var/log.

To view a log either use the GUI in the System, Administration Menu or use the terminal eg:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog | less

Beans
    Distro

Zill, Thanks for your responses to this thread. i will take your comments into notice but still .. the main question of log files or where to see errors remains.

what kind of errors or notifications are shown in each log file ?
    where do i look for information when the PC freezes and doesnt come back .. ? o when it raises and error on console and re-boots instantly ? where can i see the last error msg that was shown on console..?

thanks in advance.
    regards.
    =============

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast