Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 500 gb 2.5" sata

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 500 gb 2.5" sata

Quote Originally Posted by Giblet5 View Post
    No, they do not draw the same current.

This is hardware engineering, not visual basic class. We test first, THEN destroy other people's hardware. Don't ask why; that's just how we roll.
    I do this every day. Don't tell me how to roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Giblet5 View Post

Two identical model drives won't draw the same current so why would completely different drive models draw the same current?

That's a recipe for smoke.

Test it first. With a good meter.
    It's all one standard. Like Lego. I've never seen anyone give a second thought to putting any size drive in any compatible enclosure.
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by RealG187 View Post
    A 30 GB hard drives draws more than USB gives out? I've used my 160 with no problem. I'll check the label when I get home.
    *THAT* 30G drive draws more than USB is rated to deliver.

Another manufacturer's 30G might draw more or might draw less. I'm saying that you should always check.

Quote Originally Posted by RealG187 View Post
    That threw me off, are you saying everydrive draws different current? If so then wouldn't the label be wrong, unless every drive has a different current. Wouldn't it take the manufacturer forever to test each drive and print the results on the label?
    The label will give the nominal rating. The measured current draw will be different from that and no two drives will draw exactly the same current.

One drive rated at 200ma might draw 150ma. Another one rated at 200ma might draw 700ma (it's failing, probably, but your motherboard could still fry).

The way to know if it's safe is to check. Az's Charles-Manson-meets-Homer-Simpson Let-'Er-RIP approach to electronics work will work about 80% of the time. The other 20%, you'll need to hire someone like him to recover your data after the fire.

A digital multimeter is a must-have if you do any electronics work at all. They're cheap and make the coolest desktop geek toy.

For that 500G drive, I'd *at least* make sure that the label rates the drive at 500ma or less, and remember that the USB standard is a *total* current draw for that bus (mouse, keyboard, Nerf Missile Launcher, and 500G drive). Each USB port on the back of a PC or laptop is a separate bus. Usually.

Quote Originally Posted by az View Post
    I do this every day.
    I take it the disaster data recovery biz is doing especially well where you are.

You're doing the hardware equivalent of recommending malicious commands. Malicious commands rarely destroy physical property, so maybe this is worse.

I understand that it's out of ignorance and not malicious intent, but you should at least warn people that you rely on luck, instead of knowledge, so that they can make informed decisions v deformed incisions.
    Last edited by Giblet5; October 15th, 2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Clarification

Beans
    Hidden!

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Power

"A number of USB devices require more power than is permitted by the specifications for a single port. This is common for external hard and optical disc drives, and generally for devices with motors or lamps. Such devices can be used with an external power supply of adequate rating, which is allowed by the standard, or by means of a dual-input USB cable, one input of which is used for power and data transfer, the other solely for power, which makes the device a non-standard USB device. Some external hubs may, in practice, supply more power to USB devices than required by the specification but a standard-compliant device may not depend on this.

USB 2.0 standard-A connectors are rated at 1500 mA by default."

RealG187, I will not feed the troll any longer. These enclosures are made to be used with any 2.5 inch sata drive. I have put hundreds of drives into hundreds of enclosures without any incident. I don't know of any hardware vendor that sells these things who recommends using a Voltmeter either. Don't worry.
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12