Page 39 of 88 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wacom Bamboo not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New Wacom Bamboo not working

Hi _Stefan_3_,

Ok that's the sort of thing Ayuthia wants to investigate. You could supply and little more information about your setup. For example are you using one of the .fdi's posted on this thread. Which one? Which patch did you apply to linuxwacom 0.8.3? And attach the relevant portions of Xorg.0.log, /var/log/messages, etc. That way he can see if he needs to make changes to the code.

Beans

Well, I reattached the tabled and the problem was solved!
    For me everything is working fine, now.

Thanks for your help! I hope I will not get any problems more.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by _Stefan_3_ View Post
    Ok, my USB mouse works again.

Still the problem with the relative mode of the table.

I have attached a screenshot of what happens if I want to draw a point in GIMP.
    If you put another point in GIMP, does it connect the previous endpoint to it or does it just create a dot?

EDIT: Nevermind. It looks like you were able to fix it.
    Last edited by Ayuthia; October 25th, 2009 at 09:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro

New Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch models and supported devices
    Code:
    Bamboo Touch (CTT460)	 	touch, pad					
    	Product ID = 0xd0
    Bamboo Pen (CTL460)		stylus 			
    	Product ID = 0xd4
    Bamboo Pen & Touch (CTH460)	stylus, eraser; touch, pad		
    	Product ID = 0xd1
    Bamboo Craft (CTH461)	 	stylus, eraser; touch, pad	
    	Product ID = 0xd2
    Bamboo Fun (CTH661)	 	stylus, eraser; touch, pad
    	Product ID = 0xd3
    *All styli have two buttons (rocker switch)

Pad Buttons (see screen shot):
    Code:
       WinXP		Linux
    1. Touch toggle		Middle click
    2. BackSpace		Right click
    3. Right click		Pg Up
    4. Left click		Pg Dn
    * per munooka & bromalex

Buttons 1,2,3 configurable with xsetwacom commands or wacomcpl. Button 4 not being configurable is apparently a Xorg (Xserver/Xinput) bug. 4 buttons are counted but the buttons are identified 2 to 5 and so button 5 is cut off and not configurable. Howeveer you can now configure Button4 in Lucid by cloning the latest xf86-input-wacom or downloading the 0.10.7 tar.

1) For Jaunty or Karmic use one of the attached 10-wacom.fdi's (either the new-working or rc2) below. You can edit the .fdi with:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-wacom.fdi
    You could also use the xorg.conf, but at the cost of losing hot plugging.
    *In Karmic the .fdi name changes to '10-linuxwacom.fdi'.

2) For Lucid you can use the default 10-wacom.conf located at /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/. You could also use the xorg.conf, but at the cost of losing hot plugging. Because HAL has been removed you can't use a .fdi. Then use the appropriate xsetwacom script attached below.

3a) For xorg.conf add a symlink rule to the bottom of the table in "40-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules" in "/lib/udev/rules.d/". This avoids having to use the usb pci by-path.

Bamboo Pen (CTL460) (without touch):
    Code:
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="00d4", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen"
    With touch:
    Code:
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="00d1", SYMLINK="input/tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-$env{WACOM_TYPE}"
    *Use your specific Product ID.

Edit with:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/40-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules
    *In Lucid the name changes to 69-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules.

Code:
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="00c5", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-cintiq20wsx"
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="00c6", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-cintiq12wx"
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="00c7", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-dtu1931"
    <----- Add symlink rule here ----->

# Convenience links for the common case of a single tablet.  We could do just this:
    #ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", SYMLINK+="input/wacom-$env{WACOM_TYPE}"
    # but for legacy reasons, we keep the input/wacom link as the generic stylus device.
    If the "40-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules" is not there you can install it by using Appendix 3 in this HOW TO. Or there is a copy in the linuxwacom package in "/src/util/" called '60-wacom.rules'.

3b) You can edit xorg.conf with:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    In Lucid in "ServerLayout" you can remove the "SendCoreEvents" as they are no longer needed by Xserver 1.7. The test3 xorg.conf reflects the fact that pad is on the touch pci usb by-path (and hence the wacom-touch symlink). [So the test2 xorg.conf, with pad in the "usual" location as a subdevice of stylus, has been removed.]

4a) With either the .fdi or xorg.conf once "xinput --list" and "xsetwacom list" agree with each other and return stylus, eraser, pad, and touch (if you have all of them) you can use wacomcpl to calibrate and configure your tablet. To set it up so it's settings last through a reboot see "Section 3: Calibrating your Tablet" in this HOW TO.

4b) For Lucid you can use an xsetwacom script file instead of wacomcpl's .xinitrc. Set it up to auto-start as in 4a). Sample attached below. Rename it .xsetwacom.sh (or whatever you want) and place it in your home directory. Remember it will be a hidden file.

5) Attached below is a touch toggle script (with notification). Rename it .toggle-touch.sh (or whatever you want) and place it in your home directory. Remember it will be a hidden file. Also please remember you have to chmod it to make it executable, or right click on it and in Properties in the Permission tab check Execute as program, like you did with .xinitrc or .xsetwacom.sh above. Then you have to make a key binding for it in order to use it through a tablet button. If you haven't already install the CompizConfig Settings Manager through Synaptic Package Manager.
    -click on the General option
    -click on Commands
    -in Command line 0 (or whatever line you want) add the path to .toggle-touch.sh, e.g.: /home/yourusername/.toggle-touch.sh
    -click on Key Bindings and then to edit the corresponding Run command 0 click on the Disabled button.
    -next use a key combination not already in use, e.g. <Control>t, by pressing the Grab key combination button and pressing the key combination. The ctrl-t combination is the one in the sample xsetwacom script bound to Button1. You can also just press ctrl-t.
    -you're done

For notification install libnotify-bin by entering in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libnotify-bin
    Otherwise comment out the two notify lines in the script.

Note: In Lucid I'm using the latest linuxwacom wacom.ko 0.8.8-3 and the latest git clone of xf86-input-wacom (equivalent to 0.10.7). See the linuxwacom HOW TO.

6) If you are left-handed and want the tablet flipped you can use commands like:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set stylus rotate HALF 
    xsetwacom set eraser rotate HALF
    xsetwacom set touch rotate HALF
    in wacomcpl's .xinitrc script. Or you can add to the .fdi:
    Code:
    <merge key="input.x11_options.Rotate" type="string">HALF</merge>
    under the stylus line in the first usb section and under the touch line in the second usb section.
    Rotation orientations: normal(landscape)=none or 0; left=ccw or 1; right=cw or 2; inverted=half or 3.

Edit: The P & T's have the pad (tablet buttons) on 'if1' instead of 'if0' like the other Wacom tablets. The new-working .fdi attached below reflects this. A debug (testing) version of the new-generic .fdi is at post #579 in the "Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development" thread.

Edit2: The new-generic release candidate 2 (rc2) .fdi attached below is my attempt to construct a .fdi that works for (nearly) all the Wacom tablets. It does work for the P & T's. It's been mainly tested in Karmic.
    Last edited by Favux; June 20th, 2010 at 09:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Can I request that someone try the xorg.conf setup that Favux has created in the previous post? I want to see if the eraser will work with the current wcm2_patch and that xorg.conf setup. My thought (or maybe it is a hope) is that it will be cause the devices are listed separately.

Favux, I am sure that the hal-setup-wacom option does work, but have you seen it work in Jaunty? I am trying to see how this works in the code, but from the data that has been attached, it almost seems as if the attached tools for the stylus is not being picked up.

From what I can tell, the id is always showing up as a 2 which is assigned to the pen. It never changes in the Xorg.0.log. So far from where I have looked, it should have gone through the list of attached tools to select the correct one, but it should have triggered one of the debug messages.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Ayuthia,

Yes with a 10-wacom.fdi I have seen that the info.callout using hal-setup-wacom works fine in Jaunty for appending eraser, cursor, and pad. I have not seen anyone be able to use it for touch.

Edit: Let me clarify. It does not work for the Wacom usb touch capable tablet pc's. It does work for the Wacom serial touch tablet pc's. The difference may be helpful.
    Last edited by Favux; October 26th, 2009 at 01:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Ayuthia,

Maybe we're using the wrong debug command? Even though they're in the stylus section perhaps:
    Code:
    	<merge key="input.x11_options.DebugLevel" type="string">12</merge>
    doesn't apply accross an info.callout append.

Could someone try?:
    Code:
    	<merge key="input.x11_options.CommonDBG" type="string">12</merge>
    And see if that gives info. in Xorg.0.log for Ayuthia.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi Ayuthia,

Maybe we're using the wrong debug command? Even though they're in the stylus section perhaps:
    Code:
    	<merge key="input.x11_options.DebugLevel" type="string">12</merge>
    doesn't apply accross an info.callout append.

Could someone try?:
    Code:
    	<merge key="input.x11_options.CommonDBG" type="string">12</merge>
    And see if that gives info. in Xorg.0.log for Ayuthia.
    I have no problems with trying that one out to see what happens. Hopefully it will show something obvious that we are missing.

I have also updated the wcm2_patch to no longer report pad data again just to make sure that none of the code in there is causing a problem with the eraser.

So if anybody has some time to test these things out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro

Hi ehfortin,

The last time I saw a lshal there were three daughters created: if0, if1, and if2. The stylus is if0 and putatively touch is if1. Or at least it is with the Wacom touch tablet pc's. What was happening is your match wasn't seperating out if1 (touch?) so it was trying to configure the other devices (eraser, etc.) too.

That's why I matched to if0. You can use anything that will seperate the branches of the device tree. I am concerned about:
    Code:
          <match key="info.product" contains_outof="Wacom">
    because I only see that where there's a list like:
    Code:
    <match key="@info.parent:pnp.id" contains_outof="WACf001;WACf002;WACf003;WACf004;WACf005;WACf006;WACf007;WACf008;WACf009;WACf00a;WACf00b;WACf00c;FUJ02e5">
    I don't understand why:
    Code:
          <match key="info.product" contains="Wacom">
    doesn't work for you. Maybe we should look at your lshal?

Hi marek_online,

That's part of the point of the .fdi's I'm posting. They parse the names HAL/dBus is returning into linuxwacom names like stylus, eraser, pad, and touch. Since wacomcpl is hard coded to require those names it won't work without them. So:
    Code:
    xsetwacom list
    has to return those names for wacomcpl to work. And it won't unless:
    Code:
    xinput --list
    also returns them. Not the long names with the tablet model you had, that the default wacom.fdi returns. Does that help to clear it up?

You said ehfortin's modified .fdi worked for you. I'm wondering if you have to use the 'contains_outof' line. Would you mind testing:
    Code:
    in place of it and see if that works for you?

Beans

I have also updated the wcm2_patch to no longer report pad data again just to make sure that none of the code in there is causing a problem with the eraser.
    I'm afraid the updated patch crashes X on startup, unless I've done something wrong. It did that "try to start three or four times" thing, sometimes getting as far as the KDE splash screen, before hanging and requiring a SysRq reboot.

Hi Favux, before I tried the new patch I tried this in the fdi:
    Code:
    It works fine. Having a look at /var/log/messages afterward it looked like the stylus was more reliablly reporting as pen and eraser when switched (though I don't really know what I was looking at there - would the fdi affect the output in /var/log/messages?).

Edit: I've attached the /var/log/messages, which I think includes information both from the working change in the fdi and, beneath it, the problem with the new wcm2 patch (there are a number of segfaults reported there for Xorg.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by marek_online; October 26th, 2009 at 11:02 AM.

Page 39 of 88 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast