Page 23 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wacom Bamboo not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New Wacom Bamboo not working

Hi ehfortin,

Sorry for the poor phrasing. I meant are you applying Ayuthia's patches to linuxwacom 0.8.5 or to 0.8.4-3?

In Xournal do you have 'Use Xinput' in Options checked? Are your button(s) mapped to Eraser?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi ehfortin,

Sorry for the poor phrasing. I meant are you applying Ayuthia's patches to linuxwacom 0.8.5 or to 0.8.4-3?

In Xournal do you have 'Use Xinput' in Options checked? Are your button(s) mapped to Eraser?
    Yes, I'm applying the patches to 0.8.4-3. 0.8.5 is a different beast since they added some stuff in and added constant. It will probably make it easier to manage but... it is adding complexity at first once you take the time to understand the new stuff.

In Xournal, yes I have the Use Xinput and the two buttons are mapped to the Eraser and this part work well.

ehfortin

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    I have modified the patch to debug the resetting of the tools a little bit. Hopefully it will help us see why the eraser is not getting cleared or why the pen is not starting up again. I have also commented out a portion of the code where it was reporting pad data because the data it was trying to report is not correct.

The other big change is that the code is now using the graphire init code instead of the wacom_mo version. I don't think that it is going to make a difference because the items that they are initializing are values that I don't think we are using. I just wanted to verify that it does not make a difference.
    I still have to download and compile your latest patch and do a testbed. I still have the issue with the eraser but now, after I move the pointer with the eraser side, if I get out of range and get back in with still the eraser side, I'm completely loosing the eraser and it won't come back until I switch to the pen point side and do get in-range/out-of-range 2 consecutive time. It's the first time I notice I'm loosing the eraser if I get out of range.

So, it is looking like some soft of code. BTW, once I get out of range, I always have 0x80 that appear for a few interrupt. I'm guessing it may be the signal to capture to reset the action as it is always there after using both the pen or the eraser.

I'm heading for the new patch with the graphire init code to see if it helps. Will let you know.

ehfortin

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    I have modified the patch to debug the resetting of the tools a little bit. Hopefully it will help us see why the eraser is not getting cleared or why the pen is not starting up again. I have also commented out a portion of the code where it was reporting pad data because the data it was trying to report is not correct.

The other big change is that the code is now using the graphire init code instead of the wacom_mo version. I don't think that it is going to make a difference because the items that they are initializing are values that I don't think we are using. I just wanted to verify that it does not make a difference.
    Just did the test with the new code. I would say it is about the same. It seems a little bit less stable but... it may just be me or the fact that I'm doing the tests faster. As you will see in the log, the data that is ignored is 0x80 and it is always present after I leave the tablet range. So it has to be the one to look for in the code.

The code is acting as before with the eraser loosing contact if I leave the range of the tablet and the pen point will recapture it after the famous sequence of 2 in-range/out-of-range operations.

The pen touch is still acting as a right-click button in Firefox instead of a select (left-click) which is annoying. But I was expecting this as my post was after your patch so you would have been very good by fixing it in a divine way

I'm including the logs I have. I've done the same routine as before which is similar to drawing a line, erasing it, getting back the pointer and drawing another line.

Thank.

ehfortin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi ehfortin,

I'm not sure I understand. Are you using the default wacom.rules that came with 0.8.5? Because that doesn't have a symlink rule for your tablet. For a touch enabled Bamboo it would look something like:
    Code:
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="00d1",  SYMLINK="input/tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-$env{WACOM_TYPE}"
    I described it in more detail in posts #42 and 44.

You're using Ayuthia's patches on 0.8.4-3 correct?
    Just retested this. I've put back the wacom.rules file that is coming with 0.8.5 and added a line similar to the one above (except that there is a + before the = after SYMLINK. After that, each time I disconnect/reconnect the tablet, the symlinks are created (wacom, wacom-touch, tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch and tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-touch). All always linked to event7 and event8. So, as such, nothing works because the tablet is not on event7 or 8 anymore. It is only on 7 and 8 on the initial boot. After that, it increase. Now, I'm at 21 and 22 but there is no such thing as event21 and event21 in /dev/input or /dev/input/by-path. If we could fix this part where the proper event will be created, I'm sure the rules file will do it's job correctly and I'll have a working tablet both at boot and reconnect time.

Do you know how to fix the part that should update the by-path and the /dev/input? I think I read it was a process called path-id (in lib/udev) which is part of udev but... it is a binary file and there is no man page on it.

Hope this resume well the situation.

Thank you.

ehfortin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi ehfortin,

No sorry, I don't know how. I'm not sure what's happening. I noticed things were missing or replaced in udev in Jaunty. Can't find any documentation. Just have old stuff:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/udev/ talks about updating udev without /etc/udev/devices/

http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

And the most recent is of HAL removal in Karmic: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Halsectomy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Ehfortin, can you post the fdi file (or files) you are using? I'd like to try the fdi route as I am quite sure I have not had full functionality in X yet - but I'm not sure. Just out and about but will be in soon and I'd like to get at it again.

Thanks for the persistance EVERYONE!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
    Ehfortin, can you post the fdi file (or files) you are using? I'd like to try the fdi route as I am quite sure I have not had full functionality in X yet - but I'm not sure. Just out and about but will be in soon and I'd like to get at it again.

Thanks for the persistance EVERYONE!
    Sure. The current fdi is very straight forward and has debug level in it so you will see what is happening in from X perspective in Xorg.0.log.

See the file below. Just in case, it goes in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty and I have absolutely nothing in xorg.conf. Note that my tablet is not working at boot. I have to either plug it after boot is completed or to disconnect/reconnect it.

ehfortin
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ehfortin; October 22nd, 2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Corrupted tar file - replaced at 10PM EST

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I did find out that I was sending out too many button codes so I am hoping that is what caused the right click instead of left click for the pen touching the pad.

In the updated patch, I changed the BTN_STYLUS, and BTN_STYLUS2 back to 0x02 and 0x04 respectively (they were 0x03 and 0x05). I have now included the 0x80 data back into the pen and eraser section to see if it will help keep the eraser from disappearing. You might want to keep an eye on it to see if the cursor will jump to the upper left hand corner or not since the 0x80 data do not provide any coordinate info. If it does, we will switch it back. That code looks like this:
    Code:
    static int wacom_bamboo_pt_irq(struct wacom_wac *wacom, void *wcombo)
    {
        unsigned char *data = wacom->data;
        int x, y, pressure, index;

printk ("[wacom] data: ");
        for (index = 0; index < (sizeof(data) - 1); index++) {
            printk(" %d:%x", index, (int)data[index]);
        }
        printk("\n");

if ((data[0] != 2) && (data[0] != 0x03)) { /* 0x03 for GB data */
            dbg("wacom_bamboo_pt_irq: received unknown report #%d", data[0]);
            return 0;
        }

if (data[1] & 0x80) {
    and it was:
    Code:
    static int wacom_bamboo_pt_irq(struct wacom_wac *wacom, void *wcombo)
    {
        unsigned char *data = wacom->data;
        int x, y, pressure, index;

printk ("[wacom] data: ");
        for (index = 0; index < (sizeof(data) - 1); index++) {
            printk(" %d:%x", index, (int)data[index]);
        }
        printk("\n");

if ((data[0] != 2) && (data[0] != 0x03)) { /* 0x03 for GB data */
            dbg("wacom_bamboo_pt_irq: received unknown report #%d", data[0]);
            return 0;
        }

if (data[1] != 0x80) {
    So it is only the last line in the above code sections that changed.
    Last edited by Ayuthia; October 22nd, 2009 at 02:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Code works well. Up to now, I seems to keep the pointer whatever I do. The left-click/right-click stuff seems to be fine as well. So, basically, for my first few tests, it is encouraging.

No, the pointer is not going back to 0,0. However, it's spring to a higher/lefter position of where I am. It seems to be move at 45 degree from where I leave the range area. I would say somethink like about -2000x-2000 to -5000x-5000 differential with current position. It is kind of surprising but does not break anything. It's just that once you put back the pen on the tablet, it jump to the proper place so... it is a jumping pointer between in-range/out-of-range

I'll use it more intensively tomorrow morning so I'll see how it goes. I'm also trying to figure what is happening with the udev rules. I now realize that the event# is increasing for each reconnect of the tablet up to a point (about 28-30) and then, it is converted to input#. However, event7 still is related to the tablet (as demonstrated by using xxd). However, X is not seeing the tablet once I go over the eventXYZ limit. So I think there may be something to do by putting a basic xorg.conf just to point on /dev/input/wacom so that it will always refer to the proper event7 (in my case) whatever the real number may be once recognized by the kernel.

I'll see and let this thread know if I get some success.

Thank you, it has been a good day and results are pleasing right now.

ehfortin

Page 23 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast