Page 83 of 88 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wacom Bamboo not working

Re: New Wacom Bamboo not working

Is anyone frustrated and looking to sell their wabcom multi-touch + pen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Re: New Wacom Bamboo not working

I'm not going to sell it because Wacom claims it to be "UNIVERSAL" on the side of the box. My Graphire worked fine, so what gives? I'm tired of Wacom pretending that allowing one of their employees to volunteer in some weird semi-official representative fashion, is enough to keep the (growing) linux customer-base functioning. How many people have to complain about this before Wacom offers official support? How long will this go on before another company steps in to offer us the support we deserve?

I paid as much for my tablet as anyone else, regardless of my choice of operating system. This tablet has been out long enough that this should be a no-brainer. How are they allowed to claim that it is Universally supported if it doesn't work with the most popular distributions of Linux?

..and say what you will about all of these hacks and workarounds.. y'know like I'm impressed with everyone's cleverness and endurance, but c'mon.. enough is enough. Someone get on the horn and make Wacom, Canonical, Batman, etc.. do something about this.

Ubuntu needs to kick its *** in gear for touch screen support in general. That is where the future is, if they want to compete which is apparently their goal.

So is there currently a work around? What is the oldest version of Ubuntu that supports it? hardy?

Could I use an older version of Ubuntu on my of my partitions to support Wacom?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@CitricAcid: I guess the key might be in what you said: you have to lift the pen until the LED isn't white anymore - white indicates the touchpad being active! It might not recognize any further movement, because it (probably rightly) finds your hand resting on the pad, not moving. Only the event of bringing the pen close registers the pen again, thus reports it's movement (for a while). - just a theory.

I have the same model, Pen&Touch, and although I didn't encounter this exact issue, I don't normally use the touch and found it a bit annoying, because it moves my mouse pointer while I actually want to use the pen. I wrote a little script to toggle the touch pad, and put it in the top panel, so I can quickly switch it on and off...

I am confused, and most of the solutions have not worked for me.

What I need is some directions that dont skip anything....assume I dont know what repositories need to be enabled or how to do them....I need the dummy directions that doesnt skip anything at all and assumes this is out of the box with nothing added to start with.

How can I get this to work in 10.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Nick_Jinn,

It's hard to help you since you don't give any specifics.
    I am confused, and most of the solutions have not worked for me.
    What does that mean?

The default wacom.ko (from linuxwacom 0.8.4-4?) in Lucid (10.4) is not new enough to support the Bamboo Pen & Touches. So you need to compile a newer wacom.ko (the usb kernel driver), say from 0.8.6-2, and install it the the appropriated kernel modules directory.

See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=1077 Those commands are abstracted from Section 1 of the linuxwacom HOW TO.

Beans

I tried to get it to compile but I get this error.

So far I have gotten the pen to work a bit but sadly, it is almost not usable. Does anyone else have problems with the mouse cursor not making it all the way to the top of the screen and thus the pop-up menu for kde fails to pop up? Fix?

douglas4@frog:~/xf86-input-wacom$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
    autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
    autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
    autoreconf: running: aclocal
    configure.ac:44: error: xorg-macros version 1.8 or higher is required but 1.5.0 found
    /usr/share/aclocal/xorg-macros.m4:39: XORG_MACROS_VERSION is expanded from...
    configure.ac:44: the top level
    autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
    aclocal: /usr/bin/autom4te failed with exit status: 1
    autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

Totally, lost and thinking it would be really great to have a full tutorial about compiling that is 10.04 only and pen and touch based!

Beans
    Distro

Hi magick.crow,

The LWP updated xorg-macros.m4 from v. 1.5 in Lucid to v. 1.8 on June 2. Since it isn't available through Lucid yet you have to compile and install it before you can clone the xf86-input-wacom git. See Appendix 5 in the linuxwacom HOW TO.

Why do you need xf86-input-wacom?. If you have a Pen you only need to compile a newer wacom.ko (the usb kernel driver), like the 0.8.6-2 linuxwacom wacom.ko.

From your description I would guess it is not the wacom driver that has your pen, but another driver. You can check for that in Xorg.0.log in /var/log.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by munooka View Post
    In lucid, I got the pen (fully working) and touch (with no gestures) working by doing the following:
    Download the git version of 10.5 and compile:
    Code:
    git clone git://linuxwacom.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/linuxwacom/xf86-input-wacom
    cd xf86-input-wacom/
    ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
    ./configure && make
    sudo make install
    Hi When I attempted to build xf86-input-wacom on my Ununtu Lucid-x64 machine (fresh install with all updates) it gave me the following error:

Code:
    ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
    autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
    autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
    autoreconf: running: aclocal 
    configure.ac:44: error: xorg-macros version 1.8 or higher is required but 1.5.0 found
    /usr/share/aclocal/xorg-macros.m4:39: XORG_MACROS_VERSION is expanded from...
    configure.ac:44: the top level
    autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
    aclocal: /usr/bin/autom4te failed with exit status: 1
    autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1
    Seems I need a newer xorg-macros. I found the package, but I'm having trouble installing it. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    Steve

Beans
    Distro

Hi Steve,

I have a mini-HOW TO on installing the v. 1.8 macros in Lucid in Appendix 5 at the linuxwacom HOW TO. Have you looked at it?

Page 83 of 88 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast