Thread: Failed to load module "libcanberra-gtk-module.so"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Failed to load module "libcanberra-gtk-module.so"

I've been having this problem whenever I run any GTK (gtk-1) app:

Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load module "libcanberra-gtk-module.so": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path: "libpixmap.so",

Reading the archives, help, and other posts... reinstalling the canberra packages did not help. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any more recent soltion?

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Failed to load module "libcanberra-gtk-module.so"

Bump, anyone with this problem ever got it fixed?

Beans

I am also having this problem and it is annoying. Any gtk app started from the command line produces this error. I don't have canberra installed, nor do I want it installed. But something is trying to initialize it. I removed all my gtk rc files/directories in my home directory, and there's nothing under /etc/gtk*.

Beans

SOLVED. Something along the way set my GTK_MODULES environment variable to include the canberra gtk module. I simply unset this environment variable. It was probably some theme I downloaded and installed. I don't know much about gtk themes.

Beans
    Distro

Super!!

Almost solved, we need a permanent way to unset it.

Where do I unset the environment GTK_MODULE?

The only bashrc is in $HOME/.bashrc, is there somewhere else I should unset this in Ubuntu 9.04?

Have a look in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-modules

You can make the file nonreadable (sudo chmod 000 52libcan* ) or edit it to suit.

Beans

You might rather want to uninstall the "libcanberra-gtk-module" package instead (which ships this file according to "dpkg -S X11/Xsession.d/52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-modules").

It's still a workaround though and the real bug is something more like https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ra/+bug/872172 .